Contributor

Foot orthorics - custom made or not?

After being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, heel spur, & miscellaneous other problems, I was told I needed orthotics.  The doctor's office had me take home a generic orthotic to start wearing while they check with my insurance about coverage for custom orthotics.  If you've had experience with either custom or generic orthotics, could you please give me input & comments.  And did you feel the custom made was worth the cost & did they work better or faster to solve your issues.  Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Foot orthorics - custom made or not?

My DH uses Spenco for years now in his shoes. He says no need for custom, these work well for him.

Esteemed Contributor

I have plantar fasciitis and my foot doctor recommended a pair of off the shelf inserts from Good Feet; they did the job!  I also get foot reflexology (usually in "China town" part of any larger city) whenever I get the chance.  Between the inserts and the foot massage, I haven't had any P.F. In over 10 years.

Respected Contributor

I had a new pair of orthotics made in the fall.  Medicare does not pay for them but (surprisingly) my secondary insurance paid about $200. (out of $500)

When I first got them, I liked them and thought I'd do well with them.  They change so much about your stance and alignment.  I HATE them and have gone back to my generic inserts.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to use the green superfeet inserts, but a reviewer on Amazon convinced me to try Powerstep - Pinnacle Max ...and they’re are fantastic!!....the best, by far, that I’ve ever tried. I immediately went back on Amazon and ordered several more sets. They’re that good.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My DH uses Spenco for years now in his shoes. He says no need for custom, these work well for him.

This is also what I use.

Respected Contributor

I had a bad case of PF and decided to get some custom orthodics.  They hurt like crazy and they now reside in a plastic bag in the back of a closet.  I wouldn't buy them again.  My insurance didn't pay for any of it and I think I paid around $300 out of pocket.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I've suffered with PF for years and have good results using ABEO orthotics that I purchase at the Walking Company.  They are quite a bit less than the custom ones and very effective. 

Honored Contributor

I had a horrible, absolutely crippling plantar fasciitis and pronate very badly. I turned to Vionic, Spenco, Aetrex and Abeo shoes. I also have Vionic orthotics, and would use the orthotics of any of these companies as working for my PF. IMO, honestly no need to spend $300-$500 for custom.

BUT - if the insole in the shoe you want to use an orthotic in (any orthotic) is not removable, you will probably have the issue that your feet (or foot) will sit too high in the shoe and you’ll be walking out of the shoe or it will just be uncomfortable. For me, I must use an orthotic in a shoe with a removable insole or it’s not a good fit. An exception to this would be boots of any height or type. And I’d advise taking the orthotic with you whenever you try on shoes, as you might need to go up half a size (or even possibly down) than your size without.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

GENERIC orthotics, stretching exercises, and anti inflammatory meds to get you over the hump.