Regular Contributor

Fluctuating Cholesterol Levels

Has anyone experienced significant decrease or increase in their total cholesterol without any lifestyle changes?

In late 2019 my total cholesterol was 277.

In June 2021 my total cholesterol was 344.

In January 2022 my total cholesterol was 374.

October 2022 my total cholesterol was 264.

I'm not on any medication and do not take any vitamins/supplements.

I'm curious how my readings could fluctuate so much and my eating habits haven't changed (carbs and sugar) and haven't made any lifestyle changes. 

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fluctuating Cholesterol Levels

@Runner26  What is your diet like?

Respected Contributor

Ask your doctor. No one else's opinion matters.

Honored Contributor

Total cholesterol numbers aren't what is important. There needs to be a breakdown of the total into LDL and HDL plus a risk factor assessment also needs to be considered most of all. Discuss your cholesterol level with your doctor and then that way you'll understand what it means.

Regular Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Ask your doctor. No one else's opinion matters.

Of course other people's opnion matter in that I'm asking for thoughts.

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Total cholesterol numbers aren't what is important. There needs to be a breakdown of the total into LDL and HDL plus a risk factor assessment also needs to be considered most of all. Discuss your cholesterol level with your doctor and then that way you'll understand what it means.

I'm actually not worried about my cholesterol level; I mostly am curious if anyone else have experienced this. I know about the good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, etc. Thanks for your input.

Regular Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Runner26  What is your diet like?

My diet's unhealthy (sweets, carbs, more sweets, pizza, chips). I KNOW why my cholesterol is high; I have no idea though how how cholesterol went from 374 to 264 without any change on my part.

Respected Contributor

Your numbers are that high and your doctor has never talked to you about them? If so, I see another doctor. IMO , since you're asking.

Honored Contributor

There are many things which can cause fluctuations in your lipid profile. Some of them include things like dehydration, exercise, diet, idiopathic seasonal fluctuations and even where you have your blood tested can vary between labs.

Regular Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Your numbers are that high and your doctor has never talked to you about them? If so, I see another doctor. IMO , since you're asking.

Why do you think my doctor didn't discuss my cholesterol with me? I'm not on medication because using ASCVD risk calculator my risk is very low 1.3? Carotid ultrasound didn't show plaque.