Trusted Contributor

Re: FitBit, your thoughts please

[ Edited ]

I've become addicted to my Fitbit.  I guess that's a good addiction. Smiley Happy  It syncs with my WW app so I know how many points walks and exercise earn for me, which nudges me to move more and get more steps in.

I like to see how I slept, too.  

The heart rate display taught me that my inhaler was interfering with my heart rate when I use it.  There's not much I can do about that if it's allergy season and I need the inhaler, but at least I understand why my heart is beating like that and I know that it's temporary.  It taught me that restricting caffiene when I need the inhaler helps to keep my heart rate more stable.

I don't use the options for tracking food, water, the community, etc. but a lot of people find benefit from them.

I'm on my second Fitbit, an Alta HR.  If it died today I would head right over to Fitbit and buy a similar model.

Honored Contributor

Re: FitBit, your thoughts please

[ Edited ]

I don't personally own any model of FitBit, but know many that do. Most of them like them, some I believe, are almost addicted to them. Any tool that promotes movement, accurate or inaccurate, to me is a good thing.

As far as cost? That is up to the person's budget and desire to own one, and how important they will be to keep them moving. 

I have never been a fan of multi-use worn fitness devices. When I ran my 10k road races I wore a chronograph with which I could record and save my 1 mile split times, and total race time. It's only other function was the "time of day". 

My chest worn Heart Rate Monitor does only 1 thing, accurately shows my HR. It also, when set, shows the time of day. I wear it only during skating and my in home workouts. At home I do not need the wrist receivers, as the machines I use have a built-in Polar Transmitter.

I am not interested in sleep/calories/steps, or any of the other functions, so for me $$$ wise it would not be practical or beneficial. But to others, hey! If it gets you moving, seems like it serves it purpose.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)