Respected Contributor

I have read several articles that say wearing gloves is not that good of an idea during this virus. The said masks are the best thing but gloves not so good an idea. Just do not touch your face with or without them. I have worn them a few times but more people I have seen are in a mask and no gloves. What do you think?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Wearing Gloves?

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear  I don't know about gloves helping or not. Now, I'm not sure if wearing masks help - my husband keeps telling me that wearing masks doesn't help. ??  He went to Costco the other day and he had a mask with him as I *think* Costco will not let you in the store if you weren't wearing one. My husband is one who doesn't worry about things though (he's fairly calm), so I'm just not sure. 😐

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

I wear gloves when I go to BJ's or any other store where I'll be using a shopping cart. While some stores have disinfectant stations at the entries, others do not. My hands get a little sweaty while I'm wearing them, so I take them off as soon as I return the cart. If I don't have gloves with me, I fold my coat or jacket over the cart handle so the outside is touching the handle. I wash my hands once I've unpacked the merchandise. This works better for me than remembering not to touch my  face. 

Honored Contributor

I think the reason for not wearing gloves is that say you touch something that has been contaminated with the virus, like a door handle opening the freezer, or a grocery cart.So then everything you touch from that point on, is contaminated as well. You would have to change gloves every time you touched anything in order for it to make sense to wear them. 

Workers who wear them are protecting themselves I guess but I don't like to have someone wearing the same gloves for everyones groceries or money etc to never change them either. It is just re-infecting everything touched.

I think masks, though uncomfortable are a good idea. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have rarely been out since this has started, only to go to for food and medications, etc. I wear masks and gloves.  I am speaking only for myself and I don't have any medical training, so this is just me writing my own experiences and opinion.  I started wearing masks before we were mandated to and felt safer doing so.  I then started wearing gloves.  As far as people wearing gloves, I would say I am seeing about 50-50.  

I just try and remember not to touch my face at all when I am out.  Who knows if I am successful because I know we are not even aware we are doing it!  

I feel that the gloves make me feel more protected and also think, you never know when you might touch something extra yucky by mistake or not knowing.  Plus, if you have your ungloved hand touching things when you are out, and if you might have small cuts or abrasions, and then different germs, abrasions might inter your skin this way.  

There are so many variables and so much of this is just guessing games at this point.  Other than wearing the masks, wearing the gloves if you feel safer, social distancing, staying home as much as possible, what else can you do? I say, if you have gloves, feel better wearing them, then why not?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I wear face masks. Got the ones with a pocket to insert a filter.

As for gloves we each carry a small ziplock with disinfecting wipes. I hold mine in my hand the hold time in the store and handle anything. Also wipe hands constantly and will switch to a fresh wipe while still shopping...if it has to be lengthy. Another when I get to the car..door handle, trunk, steering wheel etc. wash hands as soon as we get home.

We don't shop together. I feel comfortable with my system.

Costco's email said beginning tomorrow the 4th is when masks will be required by all customers and employees.

Esteemed Contributor

We have mostly just been wearing masks to go grocery shopping.  My hubby does wear gloves though when he has to go the the ATM machine.    Those are surfaces touched by way too many people and I highly doubt they are being cleaned.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie 

I pretty much do what you do!

DH and I no longer do shopping together.  His health is worse than mine so I opted to be the one to go out and do all of this.  

My methods rearding the wipes, etc. are similar to yours.  I am a little anxious though because I have not been able to find any more of them and my supply is getting low.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 : I think I'll do what we did when we flew on March 6th, twins' GC 6th b'day.

We couldn't find wipes so soaked paper towels in a Clorox solution. Put those in a zip lock to carry with us. 
We seemed to be the only ones wiping down our area at that point.

Honored Contributor

Just yesterday I heard a doctor whose practice is in a densely populated area remind the population there that the most dangerous public place we are likely to be in is the supermarket!

How do I know the unmasked person shopping near me isn't a carrier, didn't just come from working in a care facility or prison or hours on an assembly line somewhere?

I'm staying put where I feel safe.  Millions of people don't have that option and I'm happy to be out of their way.