Super Contributor

Thanks to all about the cataract procedure. The dr. I go to uses the claw and it's in his own surgery annex, (called a surgery suite) not a hospital. He uses the drops and the claw. I will have to ask about versed. I bet he doesn't use it because he's not in a hospital. He puts drops in the eye, but I think I would just panic!

I appreciate all the information, but it still scares me to death.

tea

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

tea

Yes, you're awake, the doctor will be talking to you but you won't feel a thing.  Your eye will be so numbed up from the drops they put in before surgery, it will be totally painless.  

@teainlondon:    Please don't let anyone scare you into thinking that everyone is "awake".... NOT SO.......Read all these posts and you'll see that it's up to the doctor and the method he uses.

Speak to him "before" your surgery.  Ask him why he doesn't give you "Versed"....I would like to know his reasoning.  If you are not satisfied, then ask your PCP to recommend another Ophthalmologist.  I don't "get" why certain posters are so adamant about telling you "yes, you're awake"........ NOT SO......... Do your homework.  This kind of advice can/will only scare someone else going through the same thing you are.  JMO

I was not under general anestheisa which is what is probably what people  mean by "awake"-, awake vs being under general anesthesia- I was  in some kind of twilight sleep, probably Versed...believe me. you are not  laying, WIDE awake, while they are removing and replacing the lens of your eye!

@Mothertrucker     I was wide awake... it was no big deal as when they put the eye to sleep, you do not see out of it OR feel anything.  You just lay there and it is over in just two minutes. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

tea

Yes, you're awake, the doctor will be talking to you but you won't feel a thing.  Your eye will be so numbed up from the drops they put in before surgery, it will be totally painless.  

@teainlondon:    Please don't let anyone scare you into thinking that everyone is "awake".... NOT SO.......Read all these posts and you'll see that it's up to the doctor and the method he uses.

Speak to him "before" your surgery.  Ask him why he doesn't give you "Versed"....I would like to know his reasoning.  If you are not satisfied, then ask your PCP to recommend another Ophthalmologist.  I don't "get" why certain posters are so adamant about telling you "yes, you're awake"........ NOT SO......... Do your homework.  This kind of advice can/will only scare someone else going through the same thing you are.  JMO

I was not under general anestheisa which is what is probably what people  mean by "awake"-, awake vs being under general anesthesia- I was  in some kind of twilight sleep, probably Versed...believe me. you are not  laying, WIDE awake, while they are removing and replacing the lens of your eye!

@Mothertrucker     I was wide awake... it was no big deal as when they put the eye to sleep, you do not see out of it OR feel anything.  You just lay there and it is over in just two minutes. 

Wow! they gave you NOTHING to relax you when you got there? I am surprised..I thought that was de rigeuer.

I  know I wasn't "wide" awake because, while I remember seeing the Dr come in, and seeing her standing over me, I really have no (well, certainly no vivid) memory of the procedure itself