Reply
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 436
Registered: ‎04-02-2015

Re: First Cataract surgery


@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

 

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

 

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

 

tea

 

 

 

 


I had laser surgery, because I have a stigmatism. The whole procedure is a piece of cake, stop worring about it, and it only takes a few minutes, and you won't even know what they are doing ,till it's over. You'll be surprised, don't get upset over it.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,865
Registered: ‎01-25-2013

Re: First Cataract surgery


@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

 

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

 

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

 

tea

 

 

Yes, you're awake, the doctor will be talking to you but you won't feel a thing.  Your eye will be so numbed up from the drops they put in before surgery, it will be totally painless.  

 


 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,633
Registered: ‎08-08-2013

Re: First Cataract surgery


@Tyak wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

 

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

 

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

 

tea

 

 

Yes, you're awake, the doctor will be talking to you but you won't feel a thing.  Your eye will be so numbed up from the drops they put in before surgery, it will be totally painless.  

 


 


@teainlondon:    Please don't let anyone scare you into thinking that everyone is "awake".... NOT SO.......Read all these posts and you'll see that it's up to the doctor and the method he uses.

 

Speak to him "before" your surgery.  Ask him why he doesn't give you "Versed"....I would like to know his reasoning.  If you are not satisfied, then ask your PCP to recommend another Ophthalmologist.  I don't "get" why certain posters are so adamant about telling you "yes, you're awake"........ NOT SO......... Do your homework.  This kind of advice can/will only scare someone else going through the same thing you are.  JMO

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,320
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: First Cataract surgery

I am the biggest chicken in the world.  I hate having anything done to me, even a blood test.

 

I got a valium when I came in,so the prep for the surgery wasn't even bad.  I talked to the people in the OR before they started, heard a lot of what was going on, saw nothing, felt nothing and was amazed when it was over.  

 

The second was just as smooth.  If you are a nervous Nellie, ask if they will give you a valium when you get there.

 

But I am here to tell you that from what I experienced, do not worry about it!  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 27,209
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: First Cataract surgery

@patriot @Sooner @SophiaMarie @SophiaMarie @HLP 

 

DH had this on both eyes and is nearly done with the eye drops!

 

I don’t want to watch on YouTube and I don’t want to know the specifics! Can’t handle!

DH was totally out the first time. 

I’m better with that...being totally out.

 

Good luck to anyone getting cataract removal! It will be a breeze!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,633
Registered: ‎08-08-2013

Re: First Cataract surgery

@LTT1   Hi -  I will NEVER watch anything on Youtube that pertains to a procedure that I am going to have.... I'll watch other things that have nothing to do with me - such as things that go on in third world countries, etc.....  but nothing that I will be going through.

 

Things that are on Youtube are not professional - posted by regular people - most of whom don't know what they are doing, etc.  Some are done to purposely scare the bajeebers out of those who haven't a clue to start with, etc.....

 

If you don't have a medical background, stay off Youtube - it's not for the faint of heart.  

 

One of my neighbors cancelled a very serious surgery because of something she watched on Youtube.  Nobody, not even her doctor, could change her mind.  She passed away less than three months later.  The whole thing could have been avoided, had she listened to her doctor, had the surgery, followed up with the aftercare, etc.....  I will never forget what she went through - so unnecessary......

 

Stay away from Youtube before your procedure....Everyone is different.  What happens to one, doesn't mean it happens to everyone......

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 27,209
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: First Cataract surgery

@SophiaMarie 

 

I’m glad you now know better...I’m sorry you lost your friend.😰

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,633
Registered: ‎08-08-2013

Re: First Cataract surgery


@LTT1 wrote:

@SophiaMarie 

 

I’m glad you now know better...I’m sorry you lost your friend.😰


@LTT1   I can't quite remember what exactly happened with her.  Had to do with MRSA or Sepsis or both??  I do know that it was something that could have been avoided had she gone ahead with her procedure... But....... she watched something that scared the heck out of her (probably something that wasn't sterile or something like that) so she never went back and got it checked out.

 

I didn't know her that well - and this is third hand info - but I do remember it was because of what she saw on Youtube.......

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,804
Registered: ‎01-30-2015

Re: First Cataract surgery


@SophiaMarie wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

 

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

 

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

 

tea

 

 

Yes, you're awake, the doctor will be talking to you but you won't feel a thing.  Your eye will be so numbed up from the drops they put in before surgery, it will be totally painless.  

 


 


@teainlondon:    Please don't let anyone scare you into thinking that everyone is "awake".... NOT SO.......Read all these posts and you'll see that it's up to the doctor and the method he uses.

 

Speak to him "before" your surgery.  Ask him why he doesn't give you "Versed"....I would like to know his reasoning.  If you are not satisfied, then ask your PCP to recommend another Ophthalmologist.  I don't "get" why certain posters are so adamant about telling you "yes, you're awake"........ NOT SO......... Do your homework.  This kind of advice can/will only scare someone else going through the same thing you are.  JMO


I was not under general anestheisa which is what is probably what people  mean by "awake"-, awake vs being under general anesthesia- I was  in some kind of twilight sleep, probably Versed...believe me. you are not  laying, WIDE awake, while they are removing and replacing the lens of your eye!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,428
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: First Cataract surgery

Those words 'twilight sleep' accurately describe what my DH will experience with his upcoming cataract surgery. He's not at all concerned.