Esteemed Contributor

I had my first cataract surgery yesterday.  The other eye is next week.  It wasn't bad at all.  My eye is taking a long time for the dilation to get back to normal.  I go back today for follow up.  I can drive myself.  Not bad for 80 yrs old.

I don't wear glasses, but I have mono vision.  A lens was put in, so sure hope I retain my mono vision as it was, just clearer Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

Pray all goes well with your second procedure.

tea

Honored Contributor

DH had both eyes done —first in January and the second in February.

He was pleasantly surprised about how smoothly the procedures were done and quickly.  He said the prepping was the longest part.

Im glad everything went better than anticipated. The unknown is always the hardest.

Esteemed Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

I am going to have to have this done. I am 75 years old. How do they do it? I watched a U Tube video and the person was awake! The eye was held open with a claw-looking device. I don't think I could do that. How long does it take?

Congratulations on being so brave; I am not. I'm a sissy when it comes to doctors.

tea

I wasn’t awake for either of mine. I don’t think I could do that either. They put you slightly under but I did wake up during the second surgery but all I saw was a bright light and went back under. Apparently that is common for the second surgery because you are calmer the second time around. It takes about 10-15 minutes if not less. The surgery itself is easy and it’s great not to need glasses again after wearing them for 50 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

tea

@teainlondon  I was the same as you.  Scared to death.  I put it off for a couple of years.  Seemed like no matter what anyone said how easy it was, I was still skeptical.  The pre-op takes the longest!  But they are very thorough, careful and asssuring. 

You are not awake!  What they used for me was Versed.  My nurse daughter, who works in Surg Intensive Care, said Versed is very mild and it is.  The actual surgery only takes 5-10 min.  They even give you a snack of your choice of drink and cookies after.  At least they did where I went.

I am anxious to hear what the Dr says today when I go back as to how I'm doing.  I think age has a lot to do w/it.

I feel for you, because I was so scared, too.  Please don't worry.  It will just shoot up your BP!  Thinking of you........God Bless!  Let me know!

Esteemed Contributor

The biggest motivator to get the surgery done is when you can no longer drive yourself - have to ask others to get your groceries - drive you to dentist - doctor - take your pet to the vet.  Suddenly you realize you can't live that way and your fear evaporates.

Respected Contributor

Great! Your positive attitude is terrific and I’m sure helped with the entire process. Good for you. Wishing you clear vision and good health ahead.

Honored Contributor

I've had Versed for a few procedures, sometimes you go out and sometimes you don't.  But it takes away all anxiety, you are so calm you won't believe it.  I had them re-position a pacemaker wire into my heart that had come loose, that was about 45 minutes and I was completely OK and conscious.  Then another doctor asked me if I wanted Versed for sinus surgery and I opted for general anesthesia instead.  Somehow that scraping and cutting didn't sound so fun, plus they intubate you.  In retrospect I probably would have been just fine with the Versed.

Honored Contributor

Re: First Cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

@teainlondon wrote:

tea

@teainlondon    I had both eyes done last January. I had the same concerns as you about seeing that claw looking device as you said it!   I was awake the entire procedure, they offer you downers to calm you if you want them.  I do not take any kind of drug so I turned that down. I am sure many people op to take the drugs.

They numb your eye and actually put your eye to sleep.... you feel and see NOTHING  out of the eye being worked on for a short period of time. ( Thus why they do one eye at a time on different days.

Your eye wakes up in about 45 minutes to an hour... but takes time to adjust what it is seeing... really a trip! It reminded me of   being on a magical mystery tour if you ever have been their as a young adult.....  maybe too much information Smiley Happy..... anyway, I see better than 20 20 out of both eyes where before surgery I was so near sighted  I had 20/400 legally blind without correction eyes.

I had the toric  lense put into each eye  which corrected my vision... no more glasses or contacts  that I had worn my whole life.... except for close up reading glasses.... and I see SO MUCH clearer without the cataracts blocking my light. It really is amazing how good I see now.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

tea

@teainlondon   Hi - not to worry.  I was "out like a light".... Didn't hear a thing until the doctor said "all done beautiful"...... He gave me "VERSED"  Ask your doctor about it.  I just remember being wheeled into a room and the next thing was "all done.......

I had my eyes done one week apart.  Could have driven myself home too.  Follow-up the next day.  No problem.  Easy as pie.  

I wouldn't have it done any other way.  No reason for them "not" to put you out.  JMO