Respected Contributor

I recently decided to increase my fiber intake for various reasons, now I am constipated. I never was before I increased my fiber. Doesn't make sense to me. What's up with that?

Esteemed Contributor

You have to up your fluid intake.  Drink more water.

Honored Contributor

@luvdoodles, from what I've read you really need to drink a lot of water when you do more fiber. How's your fruit intake?

I was wondering about asking the powers that be on here if we might not be able to get a sub catagory about what we eat. You know, the types of foods, the diet tips, the types of diets. Just a little more narrowed down. Wellness could then be more medical info.

Anyway, not sure how well that would go over, or if enough would be interested. ??

Trusted Contributor

How have you increased your fiber? If you do this by eating more vegetagbles, fruits and whole grains, constipation should not be an issue. 

Respected Contributor

That's exactly how I have been doing it and also added different type of beans into my diet. I have also increase my water consumption. Just confused.

Valued Contributor

Try adding magnesium or take psyllium husk till your body adjusts.  I take magnesium but my husband prefers psyllium husk added to his oj.  You can buy psyllium husk at most grocery stores.

Respected Contributor

I'll second the magnesium supplement. That and good amount of fluids should help. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe you have increased it too much.  You might have to to it more gradual.  

I have such a touchy digestive system.  I suffer from IBS.  I go back and forth between going too much and not enough.  Getting a balance is a constant struggle!!

For now though, try eating some prunes or prune juice.  Or a temporary fix just to get you working again --- try a stool softener.  Not a laxative, just a softener.  This might do the trick!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I was wondering about asking the powers that be on here if we might not be able to get a sub catagory about what we eat. You know, the types of foods, the diet tips, the types of diets. Just a little more narrowed down. Wellness could then be more medical info.

I believe we're in the middle of a paradigm shift.

The interest in Health & Wellness is slowly edging out How I Look in a Bikini.

And this is true in all age demographics.

If there IS a 'diet tips' sub-forum, maybe place it in the Beauty section where that mindset would be among their own. 

The majority of the health issues mentioned in the Wellness Forum could be cured/reduced DRAMATICALLY with a different Way of Eating.  

Wellness is more...much, much, MUCH more...than medical advice.  

Keeping the Wellness and Health/Fitness posts together....maybe, SOME day, the public will see the connection.

ETA:  Of course all this 'Health' talk is a moot point is done incorrectly.  Eating animal products & drinking copious amounts of 'healthy' fats will cause illness instead of cure/reduced dramatically, so..

Maybe we should have a sub-forums of 'Getting Healthy' and another called 'Dietary Enablers' =Smiley Tongue 

Respected Contributor

both soluble and Insoluble fiber are needed for digestion

you can supplement with Benefiber or Citrucel - these are soluble fibers (powder and maybe a liquid form)

Drinking lots of water is important, especially with the powdered fibers

Dietary fiber is the part of food that is not affected by the digestive process in the body. Only a small amount of fiber is metabolized in the stomach and intestine, the rest is passed through the gastrointestinal tract and makes up a part of the stool.

There are two types of dietary fiber, soluble and insoluble.

Soluble fiber retains water and turns to gel during digestion. It also slows digestion and nutrient absorption from the stomach and intestine.

Soluble fiber is found in foods such as oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables. Insoluble fiber appears to speed the passage of foods through the stomach and intestines and adds bulk to the stool. It is found in foods such as wheat bran, vegetables and whole grains.

.  Read More: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19531.htm