Honored Contributor

Re: Essential Oils please share what you know?

[ Edited ]

I recommend a book and I also want to say that there is no such thing as 'therapeutic grade'. That term was created by the industry and has no governmental agency or organization to certify anything about the oils. Their purity is based on industry-generated findings and there is no scientific proof of distinguishing one being better than the other. Their popularity and cost is mostly market based advertising. I say use them with caution and at least read a book about how to safely incorporate them into your lifestyle.

There have been warnings from the FDA sent to two very popular EO companies regarding health claims made by those companies. EOs fall within the category of a cosmetic and are not regulated in any way. Since they are not a medicine or supplement they are not regulated as they would be if they were in either of those categories. So any health claim you may see or read about an EO cannot be verified and is all hearsay.

Valued Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

Thank you so very much for putting this on the forum.  Last week, a coworker felt like she was getting sick.  She planned to use the thieves' mixture, but luckily her friend alerted her to the fact that the oils are toxic to cats. 

It sems so hard to believe that these critters that don't think twice about digging in the garbage can become ill from inhaling these oils.

I hope your pup is 100% okay!

Esteemed Contributor

@Elri   Thanks but it wasn't my dog ~ this came across my FB feed and so I thought others might want to know xo

Contributor

I've been getting my oils online from Aromatics. They do GC/MS testing on all of their oils. That's Gas Chromatography/ Mass Spectromerty. It is a report that provides a breakdown of the natural chemical components in an oil..It helps confirm that the oil is pure, identify some potential therapeutic properties of the oil and point toward any safety considerations to keep in mind.An example is some  oils are phototoxic and you should not go in the sun with them. Some you need to be careful if you have asthma. There are other companies that do this testing. There are more than 1 chamomile  and they have different uses. There are other oils like chamomile where there is more than1, so be careful. It's so much fun learning about oils, but so much to learn!

Esteemed Contributor

For those who own cats, tea tree builds up in their tissues, and they can't get rid of it.

As they accumulate and reach a critical level, that's it.

So NO amount of exposure to tea tree is safe for cats.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everybody!

more later....

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Thank you...good to know...no such thing as “therapeutic grades.”
Honored Contributor

@Elri @conniekl@YorkieonmyPillow

Thank you...we have no pets at this time but it would be important to know this about little animals.

Most I have tried do have strong scents but it is interesting to me that these scents do not bring on migraines (so far) like every other scent I have been around in the last few years? 🐾🐾

Contributor

You can go on the aromatics international web site. You may need to register - log in. It costs nothing. They have a section for oils, blends, hydrosols. You can look at the oils and see what they are used for, and any safety issues. It tells wher they came from, when distilled etc. You don't need to buy anything. I have asthma and need to be very careful, so this is very helpful for me. I use a 1%  dilution which is 1 ounce carrier oil and 5-6 drops of oil. Sometimes I use less oil. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1, look to synthetic fragrances for triggering migraines.