Honored Contributor

Re: Eating More Unprocessed Foods

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner would probably have a better idea for accessories, etc. 

The only accessory I use is one of those metal 'flower' steamers

(w/ a missing 'petal', no less🙃) for my steamed veg but a

silicone steamer basket would be my 1st choice.  

I never heard of putting beans inside the basket then in the water...

makes sense...for safety.

Mitts...I tried using those 'clam-shell' small mitts, but it felt weird,

so I go old-school & use a dish towel.  @Sooner  any ideas for mitts?

@sidsmom We don't need anything since we got the new pot with the handles on it. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@Sooner 

Where have you been all my life???  Everyone else just rolls their eyes.

I admit to spending a lot for two sizes of these rice cookers, but they cook so many things, then stay warm and keep the kitchen cool.  Just throw in what ever you want.

Ladies, DO NOT be fooled with cheap ones, go for the best.

@Still Raining Ha ha!  We are confirmed Zojirushi users!  We have had three rice cookers (one is REALLY old--a white Neuro Fuzzy--whatever that is--and still works, and two newer ones).  They make great rice cookers and they get a lot of use at our house!  And just mostly for rice too!  

We have two Zo bread machines (big one and smaller one) that we also use ALL the time!  

I just talked to someone at Zo about making a yogurt maker too!  The guy said that is a super idea because they already make water heaters, and thermoses, and I said "Yeah, you have all the parts!"  So he is passing along that idea.  I make a lot of yogurt.

I sound like an old hippie but I am not. . . LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

I eat a lot of brown jasmine rice and I will never cook it any other way besides my Instant Pot!  It comes out perfect every time.

My favorite bean is the black bean and they are so much better cooked from dried than the canned things.  And they only take 30 min. in the Instant Pot from dry, no soaking needed.

I have a 6 quart and it's plenty big enough to cook for 2 people.

The only "accessory" I use is my stainless veggie steamer that fits right into the pot.

I pretty much use my IP every day, often twice a day.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Sooner 

@sidsmom 

What about the gadgets/accessories?  Some IP blogs are suggesting for beans, that you use a lot of extra liquid and then dump it out, for example.

Instant Pot 2-pc. Mesh Steamer Basket Set

Instant Pot Silicone Steamer Basket

only accessorie I got was a basket for eggs 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

Have you considered the Vita Clay? 

Do you set aside a day for prep, cooking, etc?

I like to use mason jars to keep food fresh also. 

Valued Contributor

I just got my 6 qt Instantpot and I love the thing.  I follow a plant based diet, so it gets a lot of use.  Chef AJ on YouTube said to get the 8 so you have plenty of room, but I am happy with the 6, and there are only 2 of us.  I do all my beans in there now and rice.  Last night I threw in lima beans, potatoes, carrots, and cooked for 10 minutes and had a great soup.  When I do my beans, I do 1 lb and I bag and freeze portions for later.  I love that you throw your stuff in there, set the timer, and you can forget it.  There are so many YouTube videos of things to use it for so I am still learning. 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@lolakimono 

Have you considered the Vita Clay? 

Do you set aside a day for prep, cooking, etc?

I like to use mason jars to keep food fresh also. 

@butterfly123 

I had not heard of it, but I ordered the IP on the day of this thread and BF picked it up at BBB that evening. Cat Happy

I am not really a "batch" cooker, but I don't mind leftovers. I get up at 3:40 on school days so that I can go to the gym before I repot to work.  By the time I get home and think about dinner, I've already been going for 15 hours or more.  I bring home more work, and I don't really have time to babysit things on the stovetop for another hour.

I usually go through three cans of beans in a school week of lunches and a cup and a half of rice. If I take potatoes, I usually microwave them in the a.m.and then they heat through in my Crock Pot lunch warmer.   I also go through a lot of broth, which I use to flavor rice as I cook it and for the base of soups.  Each week the recycling bin is full of boxes of broth and cans, so I would like to reduce that as well as use all of the veggie scraps that I go through in a week.  So my main use will be for rice, beans, broth, and quick cooking potatoes.  

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono @Beauty$Junkie @butterfly123 @jackthebear @QueenDanceALot & all

Deep appreciation, here, to @lolakimono {who always finds me the best denim fashions!}, for raising this.

I stumbled into the Wellness forum as part of my 2020 commitment to healthier eating. Fabulous threads, all!

Found the DUO60 7-in-1 which is plenty for me, mostly cooking for 1. Before ordering it, can anyone suggest the best cookbooks?

In addition, I don't eat fish or meat and am wondering will there be just as much use for plant-based heart-healthy folks?

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@lolakimono @Beauty$Junkie @butterfly123 @jackthebear @QueenDanceALot & all

Deep appreciation, here, to @lolakimono {who always finds me the best denim fashions!}, for raising this.

I stumbled into the Wellness forum as part of my 2020 commitment to healthier eating. Fabulous threads, all!

Found the DUO60 7-in-1 which is plenty for me, mostly cooking for 1. Before ordering it, can anyone suggest the best cookbooks?

In addition, I don't eat fish or meat and am wondering will there be just as much use for plant-based heart-healthy folks?

have mentioned before that I didn't invest in any cookbooks,  just take a look for pressure cooker website  and there are many,  as well as blogs and pinterest postings . this takes you to pinterest and pages of stuff

hopefully to mods won't remove it 

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=instant%20pot%20recipes&eq=instant&etslf=7137&t...

Honored Contributor

@1Professor @jackthebear 

I agree with searching Pinterest, blogs and IP groups.