Regular Contributor

Calcium supplement for Osteoporosis?

Would like suggestions for a calcium supplement for my 84 year old Mother whom has osteoporosis. She had been taking Citracal but I noticed it has talc in it so I would like to find her something more natural with less filler in it, especially talc!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Calcium supplement for Osteoporosis?

[ Edited ]

@Bixa2805 wrote:
Would like suggestions for a calcium supplement for my 84 year old Mother whom has osteoporosis. She had been taking Citracal but I noticed it has talc in it so I would like to find her something more natural with less filler in it, especially talc!

I just started taking Andrew Lessman's Calcium-Magnesium Intensive care.I take it at night and sleep well. It contains vitamin C, D3, calcium, magnesium and boron. I take several of his vitamins..I think your mother will be pleased~Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Your mom's doctor should be the person choosing calcium supplements for her.  If she has osteoporosis, he may want to put her on one of the prescription meds.  Certainly, strangers here are in no way qualified to recommend medication for someone they don't even know.  Not everyone should be taking calcium; my doctor took me off of it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The talc is coming from the hard tablet formulation. A tablet is the cheapest formulation for a vitamin or supplement.

Agree to talk with your mom's dr, first. As @Kachina624 said, not everyone should take additional calcium.

Calcium should be balanced with magnesium if you're taking a supplement as Andrew's formulation has. Just a note on magnesium, it can have laxative effects.

Honored Contributor

My doctor specifically recommended Calicum Citrate over the other calcium supplements.  You also need Magnesium and some K2 to help it absorb in the bones and not your arteries.  I can't swallow the calcium citrate pills, so I went with Bulk Supplements Calcium citrate powder but I also had to add the other two supplements to it.  I don't know if they make the powder iwth the other supplements.  If they do it'll also include Vit. D which I wanted to avoid because I already take high doeses of vitamin D. The magnesium glycinate has a citrusy taste in it, so you need something like a yogurt or vanilla pudding to mix it into.  I use the Bulk Supplements Calcium Citrate.

I agree that you need to verify with her doctor that he wants her to take a calcium supplement.  

I actually reversed my osteopenia and I credit Bamboo Extract, but that's anecdotal evidence. 

Hope this makes sense.  

Regular Contributor

My Mother’s Dr. is the person who suggested the Citracal which has talc in it. She was never on prescription meds. I am basically looking for something to replace the Citracal because of the talc in it. Her Dr. is of no help because he is ok with the Citracal.
Super Contributor

Andrew Lessman is the only one for me. Buy it quickly while he still has special pricing. This one has all the other things already in it to allow the body to absorb all that it can.

https://www.hsn.com/products/ultimate-calcium-magnesium-intensive-care-w-vitamins-d3/10076201 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bixa2805 wrote:

You should ask her doctor. I have blood work every 4 months. My doctor will then prescribe any supplements. 

Esteemed Contributor

My doctor recommended Bone-Up by Jarrow.  

1557719_01.jpg

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

My doctor recommended Bone-Up by Jarrow.  

1557719_01.jpg

6 tablets a day!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.