Respected Contributor

Dyna Splint post knee replacement

New plan update on my repeat right knee replacement from 9/24 surgery. The doctor ordered a dyna splint to be worn 20 mins, 3-4 times a day for probably several months.  It was just delivered yesterday and the rep instructed me on how to put it on. The brace is designed to bend the knee and it is set at a certain number which can be adjusted if it's to uncomfortable .  I have had to adjust the tension because it was to painful. and it's a bit difficult to put on.  The rep said it's not unusual for the Doctor to order the splint especially if the patient has had a repeat knee replacement.  Has anyone else every had to use this type of splint ? Just curious if it helped. I still have swelling in the knee which is normal and a bit more swelling in the inner aspect of my knee.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dyna Splint post knee replacement

No.  That doesn't sound like fun at all, @Goodie2shoes.  I hope it helps you get the desired bend though.  

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes No, never had to use anything like that with either of my TNR's.  Doesn't sound like fun at all, wishing you the best with your recovery.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

My wife did not use one, but I wish she had. Her surgeon is our friend and he does only hip and knee repair and replacements. I talked to him on my own and he told me about the Dyna Splint.

He said it was up to my wife if she wanted to use it. After he described it, she said no. I told her I thought it would be beneficial to her recovery, but she stuck with her negative.

In hindsight now along with her dislike of exercises? She is pretty much stuck with the flexion and range of motion she has now. Would I be happy with her results were it me? Not even close, she made her choices.

My friend said a lot of athletes that he does ACL and other ligament surgeries, they like using the Dyna Splint. It does shorten their recovery time. He told me the adjustments are what helps the range of motion best, especially with patients that are used to being able to handle more discomfort(a doctor's word for pain).

Never seen one, but I have watched videos online and UTube. What you decide concerning this?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut: thanks for your input, you always have good information on this topic especially since your wife has already gone thru it. I hope she is doing better. Yes I am going to use the splint per the Doctor's orders. I told the therapist  today that the splint had been delivered and how I tolerated it on my first use. She thinks it will be very beneficial. She measured my flexion at 107 degrees today so it's getting better. thanks

Respected Contributor

I've had a TKR so I was interested in this topic.  I had never heard of the Dynasplint, so I found this:  https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03vXnum__UhpMRDqnymiYf-N9OJKA%3A1605919472478&source=hp&ei=...

TKR's are NO fun.  I hope this device helps you!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of the Dyna Splint before.  When I had a revision done on my right knee in 2009, my surgeon had me use a CPM (Continuous Passive Motion Machine)  I was in it when I woke up from surgery & it came home with me to use at home for a few weeks.  I put it on the bed in my spare bedroom & I'd go in & get into it & watch TV & invariably fall asleep with it going!  It really helped though & I got a way better range of motion than I did on the initial TKR that was done in 2005.

Honored Contributor

I just got my "bend" back through PT.  It was VERY painful but well worth it. This device sounds like it might be very helpful. I would have used it if they had offered it to me in 2013.