Respected Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

@bargainsgirl 

I have severe dry eyes. 
The only prescription product that helps me is Lacrisert ophthalmic inserts made by Bausch & Lomb. 
Restasis and Xiidra eyedrop prescriptions both burned my eyes. 
The OTC eye drops that work best for me are Bion Tears preservative-free lubricant eye drops for severe dry eyes in single vials. 
All the best in your search!

DF36BE4F-4A5A-4CBF-B890-E0993378AEAE.jpeg

I have suffered from Dry Eyes for 10+  years.  I used Restasis for about 5 years and eventually it stopped working for me.  I went to Xiidra with little success. I've been using Alrex for a few years now.  Recently I had a severe spell in one eye so have been on a course of Prednisolone Acetate for 6 weeks. (comes to an end this week)  It has been a life changer.  My OTC choice is Systane. I too have "plugs".

Understanding Dry Eye Syndrome is so baffling.  Until you've experienced it, it makes little sense.

My doctor recently told me, the burning we experience when drops are added, is frequently due to the PH of your eye.

Honored Contributor

Lessmans Lutein supplement is helpful for dry eyes, i buy other brands that are ven more potent. Mine are 40 mg each.  Also Sea Buckthorn Oil Omega 7 is very good for dry eyes. My opth gave me Systane drops for my dry eye. 

Honored Contributor

I take otc eye drops.  They help but I still have some symptom.  I'd heard about fish oil supplements.  I'll try them.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes, fish oil does help. Andrew makes a really good one. I use Restasis, and it helps me a lot. I also got punctal plugs, which do help a little. It's an extremely challenging disease, and you have to find the right combination of things that ease your symptoms. Definitely get preservative-free eye drops (I use Refresh Plus). It makes a big difference.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lessmans Lutein supplement is helpful for dry eyes, i buy other brands that are ven more potent. Mine are 40 mg each.  Also Sea Buckthorn Oil Omega 7 is very good for dry eyes. My opth gave me Systane drops for my dry eye. 

@Shelbelle  Several years ago, someone mentioned an oil for dry eyes, I thought it was you--but could be wrong.

It came in an glass bottle with a dropper for a top, I think it was orange and very pungent smelling.  I added it to a glass of water to drink.  It really helped me with dry eyes one winter, I guess because of the heater as I don't have dry eyes as a constant problem.  

I only used it a few times and never had a problem again.

Do you know which one I'm speaking about?  I don't think it was Sea Buckthorn Berry oil, but maybe it was?

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I have severe dry eyes and suffered for years so I took a different approach after restastis and OTC eye drops failed to work for me. I still take 2 capsules of Nature Made fish oil daily that provide 360EPA and 240 DHA.  

My eyes were making me really miserable so I began researching eye drops from Europe. I discovered they have OTC drops with higher levels of sodium hyaluronate than allowed in the US. I need preservative free drops, and they  have many different brands. They also have a unique bottle for preservative free drops in Europe that they don't have in the US and and they're large bottles. For preservative free drops here you have to buy the individual vials, very expensive. I buy these European eye drops on Ebay, four or more bottles at a time. My opthamologist is fine with this and says my eyes look so much better.

Honored Contributor

I take 2 of Andrew's Omega 3 fish oil per day. I also take his Eye Support.

I still have issues with dry eyes like when drywall dust was flying in the house.

The only thing I found that would help mine was by using Refresh Optive Mega 3 with Flaxseed oil, preservative free. If I keep using this twice per day I don't have any issues. It has really helped my eyes. It does not make things blurry either like some dry eye drops do.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  Several years ago, someone mentioned an oil for dry eyes, I thought it was you--but could be wrong.

It came in an glass bottle with a dropper for a top, I think it was orange and very pungent smelling.  I added it to a glass of water to drink.  It really helped me with dry eyes one winter, I guess because of the heater as I don't have dry eyes as a constant problem.  

I only used it a few times and never had a problem again.

Do you know which one I'm speaking about?  I don't think it was Sea Buckthorn Berry oil, but maybe it was?

Hello, yes that is it, Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil, I take 2 softgels daily, I also take it for feminine dryness, very helpful. It helps to lubricate tissues from the inside out. 

Honored Contributor
  1. image.jpeg
Honored Contributor

Sea Buckthorn Berry Oli includes Omega 7, the magic ingredient.