Respected Contributor

Re: Dress code for retail pharmacies

@grandma petes wrote:

@Reilley wrote:

How old are you?  Many years ago, in the late 60's, a high school girl couldn't even color her hair, in many cases, not wear an abundance of makeup without being sent home!  And I lived in the Bay Area!  Times have changed and it isn't the color of hair that makes a "professional"!  It is their training and personality and kindness.

I remember in Junior High in the late 60's and early 70's, we had a dean of girls that was horrible. If she even thought you had the slightest stitch of makeup on, you were marched to the bathroom to wash your face. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school....so if the hem of your dress was more than an inch above your knee, she gave you a seam ripper to take out the hem of your dress. Did all of those archaic rules make us better people???? Nope....we were great people without judgement on our hair color, length of our dress or how much makeup we wore. As long as someone does their job with great professionalism, they can whatever color hair they want.

Well said!  How a person performs on their job should be the most important thing, and really what bearing does hair color have on that?  NONE!  I am shocked anyone would even question this at my pharmacy that has been the norm for years and as long as they do their job I could care less.  Some people really get caught up in things that are not important.

Respected Contributor

Haven't seen anyone with that hair color at my local pharmacy, but at Lowe's there's a female employee with green hair......

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey @That's what I thought!

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn I worked in a lab and OSHA dictated what we wore. But,we also had to follow a dress code.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

In 1973 the Ohio State House still didn't permit women to work in the building in pants. It was debated almost every day. I don't know when that rule was changed.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I worked as a clerk in a pharmacy for two months in 1965. No dress code.

@PickyPicky3 

Back in 1965 people knew how to dress appropriately.  In most cases, they didn't need to be told.  Not so much anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I have a lovely 75 year old neighbor who has always been a little edgy.  She currently has white and orange hair...sort of like a Creamsicle!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Is there a retail store out there that doesn't have a "Help Wanted" sign in their window, on their marquee, or on their website? 

As long as an employee is reliable, honest, clean, and competent then what else matters?

Respected Contributor

we're suppose to accept anything and everything. If we think or say anything different, we're the problem and get criticized for having "old fashion" standards.

from somethings i've seen, breathing is the only job requirement, for some places.

Super Contributor

Looks are out the window for the most part cuz there's such a shortage of workers. No one cares anymore about hair color or pierceings or any other conformity.