Trusted Contributor

Re: Dress code for retail pharmacies

I had to wear a skirt or dress to classes when I was young -- guess what: I WAS STILL A GOOD STUDENT WHEN I LATER WORE JEANS!

Clothes and hair color do not make the person. Expertise, respsonsibility, hard work and knowledgeable aswering of questions -- or the practice of finding the answer from someone more knowledgeable than they and then relaying the information back to you are some of the things I want from my pharmacy tech.

Live on, Blue Hair!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't mind blue hair.....as long as they were clean and well groomed...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is interesting because from what I remember (I was 20 in 1973).... the dress "code" was implied by the work standards that were in place at the time.  I agree with everyone else and believe that dress and hair do not necessarily make a good employee, it's what's inside that counts.  However over time, we have come to realize the importance of leaving people be in regard to this and we have also devised HR departments and have rules in place to help stop some of the discrimination.  

But back in '73 I showed up for employment wearing a conservative dress, at the correct length and always had a conservative style for my hair.  Much later on I would go on to four piercings each ear and debated a tattoo (but didn't).  

My #1 son is a motorcycle mechanic and works for himself so his tattoos and piercings are always on display, but even he stopped at tattooing his face or hands.  Says he might have to work for someone at some time and employers are still goosey about tattoos. 

Personally I'm happy that times have changed and personal "design" has become far more legitimate and that what we used to complain about in the 60's have actually changed for the better.  (We couldn't wear pants either and the school nurse went around measuring hems and telling us to rip them out....) Today, I don't even own a dress... LOL! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for blue hair.  Don't like pink or green either for that matter.  But I do feel that people are entitled to do what they want with their hair and, I suppose, as long as it's clean that's all that matters.

One of the techs at the office where my dog goes has this god awful shade of orange hair.  She's a lovely girl and good at her job.  I can get past her tattoos and piercings but the hair freaks me out.  LOL. 

Respected Contributor

I think most places like pharmacies now are so desperate for employees they don't really care about hair color.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there are dress codes for much of any place any more, are there?  I think times have changed so much and attitudes have relaxed regarding what is appropriate and what isn't.  And now -- I think employers are just happy to have employees and to have them show up -- within reason, of course!  So -- no, I don't really think it should matter if a pharmacy employee has blue hair, green hair, or whatever -- as long as they are proficient at their job and are reliable and responsible! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

As long as they get my script correct, I don't care what color their hair is. Geesh it's 2022 - such a minor thing.
Honored Contributor

So???   I see nothing wrong with blue hair on a pharmacist or pharmacy tech as long as their hair is clean and neat.

Honored Contributor

I guess I am behind the times. I remember when dress codes were very important.

Respected Contributor

I have no problem with dress codes within reason.  I went to private schools so uniforms were the norm.  Easy.  Did I mind? Not at all.  I began working in education in the mid 90's.  Teachers still dressed nicely-slacks, dresses, skirts, nice shoes, etc...men wore ties and nice slacks.  For some reason about 10 years later that changed.  Many newer younger teachers came on board and omg some of the outfits were awful.  Many wore low necklines, spikey heels, tight jeans, etc.  Not a good look for school IMO.  Maybe I am showing my age but today's looks are very sloppy compared to years ago.  I miss that.