Esteemed Contributor
This thread is for anyone who might be facing a elective surgery that could make their life better. Don't be afraid. Make sure you have a good doctor and go for it. Granted my jaw joint surgery was slightly more then elective but I wasn't going to die if I didn't do it. But I needed to do it to get my mouth open and get my teeth taken care of. Life is great. I still have to do exercises to get my jW open where it should be. But I can eat normal again and take bites of food. I can eat doritoes and all my favorite foods again. Don't be afraid to have a procedure done. It's all so worth it at the end.

Sent from my iPhone
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday  I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better and can stuff yourself with junk food just in time for the holiday season, like the rest of us.  I can detect a note of optimism in your message that's good to hear. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Mainly if you been putting off a surgery because of the unknown. Don't be afraid of what might happen but be excited of how much better your life might be by having it. I might have to go on a diet after enjoying all my favorite foods again. It's never as bad as what you think it's going to be. So go for it and enjoy how much better your life will be.

Frequent Contributor

Very nice thread @ccassaday! Smiley Happy Hope you continue to heal and feel great! 

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you and glad yours turned out so well. However, I won't do anything "elective." If something is causing me pain, I will exhaust all options before surgery. For instance, I have a bone spur on my foot that doesn't cause me any problem or pain. The Podiatrist wanted to remove it. I'm just not interested in that.

I will only have surgery as a last resort.

I did have elected surgery for a deviated septum in my 20's. It was an awful job with the septum worse than before. I've seen others not have the good fortune as you have after elective surgery.

A friend couldn't wear heels b/c of toes overlapping. It failed. She had to have splints for as long as I remember and never wore heels.

Unfortunately over the years, I have lost confidence in surgeons and MD's.

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

Good for you and glad yours turned out so well. However, I won't do anything "elective." If something is causing me pain, I will exhaust all options before surgery. For instance, I have a bone spur on my foot that doesn't cause me any problem or pain. The Podiatrist wanted to remove it. I'm just not interested in that.

I will only have surgery as a last resort.

I did have elected surgery for a deviated septum in my 20's. It was an awful job with the septum worse than before. I've seen others not have the good fortune as you have after elective surgery.

A friend couldn't wear heels b/c of toes overlapping. It failed. She had to have splints for as long as I remember and never wore heels.

Unfortunately over the years, I have lost confidence in surgeons and MD's.

Of course you should always try every option before you decide to have a surgery. I am not talking about a eye lift or a tummy tuck. I was talking about when there is something medical that needs done but if you don't do it you won't die. For me I couldn't open my mouth. Couldn't eat or chew without it being very small bites. Was I going to die without it. No. But if I needed a tooth fixed or anything how would they fix it. My life is so much better after having it. And it wasn't that bad of a recovery. Matter of fact it was pretty painless. Only slight discomfort. My point was if your in a position like me find a good doctor and weigh the pros and cons. Instead of being afraid of what could go wrong think about how wonderful your life will be once the problem is fixed. After so many years I am able to chew and eat properly again. 

Honored Contributor

Wonderful topic, @ccassaday! and I. ouldn't agree more!

My eye surgery was not precisely"elective" either, but unless you've spent and extended period of time living with double vision, you can't imagine how annoying it is.

ALSO- I was told for MANY years that there was no help for my vision, but that wasn't true, so keep searching for a doctor who can tell you the truth.