Honored Contributor

Does reading a food package ingredient/ info label make you decide to buy or not?

I always look at sugar content , salt content and cholesterol content ...then I read the ingredients.....I buy based on what I see if OK ....or put it back based on What I see. I really eat very little pre package foods because I read the labels. 

Do you make your food purchases based on just taste and liking it....or do you read package    the label first?  

From all the the  prepared packaged foods...out there in the market place  and the huge amount sold today, I do not think most consumers have a clue as to what they are consuming because they do not read the labels.... Thus the problems with obesity and health related issues from poor choices.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Does reading a food package ingredient/ info label make you decide to buy or not?

I read first to see where items are made, then the nutrition label, then the ingredients.  I put back way more than goes into the cart.  I don't just eat what I like.  I never have. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Does reading a food package ingredient/ info label make you decide to buy or not?

[ Edited ]

I buy very few prepared food items. Most of the food in my kitchen is whole and so that makes it easy for me to evaluate what it's nutritional value includes. For example, salmon has protein and fat in amounts that can be found on any food list that gives the exact percentages.

I  do not eat condiments of any kind.  I find them to contain stuff I'd rather not consume like added sugar and salt, plus a number of other ingredients I can't pronounce.

Esteemed Contributor

I read the ingredients first.

That's usually enough to make me put the package back down.

If that passes muster, then I look at the nutrition label. Basically I'm interested in the overall breakdown of calories, and specifically the number & type of fats per serving.

Honored Contributor

I read the label to determine calories and nutritional content, them am interested in ease of preparation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I always look at the label of a food product.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I always look at the sugar content...if it is to high, I do not purchase.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes, most times I read the label and if there's something in there that I don't like, I won't buy it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rarely buy items with labels.  In the store, I don't even go down most of the aisles.  I shop in the produce department.  I do buy herbs that might come in bottles and once in a while a few random items that are bottled like my favorite balsamic vinegar, miso, tahini, coconut aminos, or a nut butter.  

If an item has a label, I'm probably not buying it.

Respected Contributor

I always read labels for sugar, salt, fat content & the dreaded MSG which turns my face beet red. I see others reading labels too.