Trusted Contributor

Do you have a sleeping recliner?

[ Edited ]

Please tell me the pros and cons.  My DH is suffering from osteoarthritis and it's getting alarmingly bad since he turned 63.  He needs two knee replacements and eventually a shoulder replacement, maybe even a hip down the road.

Long story short, he can hardly sleep at night.  The hip and especially shoulder keep waking him up.  I'm thinking a cozy sleeping recliner with heat and massage might be the ticket, especially for his surgical recoveries.

The problem is, he is a side sleeper, sleeps on his bad shoulder and can't make himself stop.  Can you sleep on your side in one of these?

Please share your thoughts and experiences - thank you! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have a sleeping recliner?

I slept in my recliner for the last two months of the last pregnancy. I carried really high and had no lung capacity. If I laid flat, I couldn't breathe, so I slept in the recliner. I am a side sleeper as well. It is possible, especially if the recliner had a fluffy top. You can also prop your back with a pillow. 

Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I slept in my recliner for the last two months of the last pregnancy. I carried really high and had no lung capacity. If I laid flat, I couldn't breathe, so I slept in the recliner. I am a side sleeper as well. It is possible, especially if the recliner had a fluffy top. You can also prop your back with a pillow. 

Hope this helps. 

@CritterKeeper @PilatesLover 

I have osteoporosis, degenerative arthritis, spinal stenosis, bulging disks, and I had to sleep in recliner because of my husband necessitating my vigilance for long periods of times for multiple co-morbid illnesses and I slept just fine.  I preferred it to the cot in his room.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about the discomfort your husband is in.   My MIL is 88 years old and also has arthritis.  We bought her a La Z Boy motorized rocker/recliner chair that actually has several positions as well as lifting to help you in and out of the chair.  Very comfy for her and many times she prefers to sleep in it rather than her bed.   They are quite pricey but worth every penny to bring someone comfort.  They are an excellent brand in general, I lived in my La Z Boy rocker/recliner for months while going through chemo therapy, I highly recommend them.  I'm also a side sleeper and I could sleep that way in mine, I just used extra pillows.  Best wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

Wish ease and good sleep for your DH.  This is a hard spot to be in.

Last year when I had to do chemo again I got a model that even had a remote.  Whee!  For me, I use a heated throw and find massage irritating.  Might want to check with DH.

I dozed, but liked my bed better.  But good to have an option.

After my neck got painful enough from disk issues, I did change position in bed, so perhaps DH just isn't ready.  Even the physical therapist couldn't force me.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover    You need to talk to John @hckynut.  I believe he sleeps in a recliner every night.  I'm sure he'll  chime in when he sees this. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover  I have heart problems, neuropathy in my back and legs , arthritis and a compression fracture in my back. Like a lot of people i can not lay flat to sleep. I have a very nice leather lazyboy recliner with electric controls. Love it, I sleep in it very well, so much more comfortable than the bed. I have tried the adjustable beds in the store and even though it may feel different at home under normal conditions, I could not get comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a sleeping recliner. But have you seen this? I watched it presented on HSN last week and I was very impressed with it. I think this would be great for recovering from injuries or just to have as a bed. It adjusts every which way.

https://www.hsn.com/products/cloud-mountain-adjustable-folding-twin-xl-memory-foam-b/9858495

Cloud Mountain Adjustable Folding Twin XL Memory Foam Bed

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Ours are not specifically sleeper recliners but they are very plush and lie almost flat. I too am a side sleeper but from time to time have needed to sleep where I couldn't roll over onto a sore or injured spot - like when I broke my collarbone. The recliner helps to keep you in one position. And it is possible to roll somewhat over to your side if you really need to in order to get comfy. But it does keep you from tossing back and forth and hurting yourself or bothering your partner.

Valued Contributor

My father wanted a La-z-Boy electric recliner (as stated by Linda Sal). my father used it until he passed. My now 88 yr old mother uses it and she has had both knees replaced. She lives with my brother and he says that she loves that chair. It does help the person using the chair up from their seated position. I agree La-Z-Boy is a very reputable company and the chair is comfortable.

I have a loveseat and a sofa from La-Z-Boy and they are comfortable to sleep on as well. They are not electric.