Respected Contributor

FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

From CNBC news . . . . 

FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

PUBLISHED TUE, APR 13 20217:03 AM EDT

The Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday it is asking states to temporarily halt using Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine after six people in the U.S. developed a rare blood clotting disorder.

The FDA said the recommendation is “out of an abundance of caution.”

“Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare,” the FDA said in a joint statement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “COVID-19 vaccine safety is a top priority for the federal government, and we take all reports of health problems following COVID-19 vaccination very seriously.”

All six cases occurred in women between the ages of 18 and 48, with symptoms developing six to 13 days after they received the shot. Doctors typically treat that type of blood clot with heparin but health regulators noted that could be dangerous in this case and recommended a different treatment.

People who receive the vaccine and “develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after vaccination should contact their health care provider,” the FDA and CDC said.

The CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices on Wednesday to further review the cases, federal health regulators said Tuesday. The FDA is also investigating the cases.

When J&J submitted its Covid vaccine data to the FDA in February, no specific concerns were identified when analyzed by age, race and comorbidities, according to the agency. The FDA said at the time the most common side effects reported were headache and fatigue, followed by muscle aches, nausea and fever.
Honored Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

The CDC and FDA said 6.8 million people have received J & J single-shot vaccine the United States. Of these, six have experienced the clot, the agencies said.

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

A close friend of mine got the J&J yesterday afternoon and my stepson and his wife both got the J&J on Sunday.

The number of issues with this vaccine have been so low, but they'll be nervous hearing this news and I feel for them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

A news conference,at 10 am, i think it is a good move by fda, to find out more.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

My daughter got the J&J yesterday morning.  So far no side effects so I hope that’s a good sign. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I would be nervous, too, especially if she is in the age group all of those affected have been;  so far, no men affected.

but the percentage is so small that COVID is still more dangerous than the vaccine unless maybe you live in an area with very few cases and you observe all the safety protocols.

Respected Contributor

If my math is correct, that's .000000882%.

Maybe some of the other immunizations we commonly get have the same side effect rate. But when it happens to you, it feels like 100%. 

I'm sorry this has happened. It will probably scare people away getting any vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I feel bad for the people that now have go back to hunting down an appointment again for one of the other two.

Esteemed Contributor

My son & his wife got the J & J vaccine this past Saturday. I'm a nervous wreck.

Contributor

I got the J&J vaccine on March 10. Other than a sore arm for a couple of days I am fine. I respect the fact that they want to pause and look at the issue but 6 cases out of 6.8 million shots administered are not bad odds when compared to the chances of getting COVID. Bottom line is that are risks with any drug or vaccine and I just have to hope that my body can handle this vaccine.