Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@Daysdee wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, the Jello Sugar Free Pudding is delicious however I am super sensitive to milk and I don't react well to some artificial sweeteners so I found out early that although I loved them.... they raised my blood sugars and then I had my stomach acting up so I had to give them up....

And love this new thread!!  Woman LOL

@Q4u wrote:

Yes, the Jello Sugar Free Pudding is delicious however I am super sensitive to milk and I don't react well to some artificial sweeteners so I found out early that although I loved them.... they raised my blood sugars and then I had my stomach acting up so I had to give them up....

And love this new thread!!  Woman LOL

I also cannot tolerate any sugar free items.   I find what helps me is walking every day--seems to keep my A1-C in good order.   When I test, I still have some "highs" which at times I cannot figure out why as it didn't seem I ate badly.

It doesn't have to be what you ate necessarily.  It can be stress in the body (even if you don't feel stressed), it can be an inflamation somewhere that's affecting your reading, even higher blood pressure. Stressers can cause variance in your numbers.  

I'm eating the way I always do since I was diagnosed, but I'm fighting pain from my sciatic nerve right now and my numbers go higher with pain.  But I will take aspirin to take the edge off and noticed that my numbers read a little lower when I do so I'm assuming that the pain is affecting it as well.  Wish that diet alone was totally responsible, I'd have it made in the shade because I'm controlling that aspect pretty well.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

My internist said I was right at the borderline.  He wanted to give me several months to clean up my diet and lose weight.  The problem is my diet was pretty good, except for dining out.  And my weight was STUCK!  I also have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease, so my whole endocrine system is a mess!

My endocrinologist diagnosed me as Type 2, and started me on Metformin. He also made a change and added Cytomel (T3) to my thyroid hormone meds a few months earlier.

I have finally got my weight moving again.  I've lost 31 pounds since September, and my 2 hour postbrandial reading generally runs between 92 and 110.

I don't crave sweets anymore.  I think the Metformin also reduces my appetite.  My one big suggestion would be to go online and get the nutritional fact sheets for any chain restaurants that you might frequent.  You'd be shocked at the information.

I was going to a local restaurant and ordering roast chicken, steamed broccoli, and a small serving of mashed potatoes.  That meal had 2000 calories!  Now we go to one particular restaurant.  I order their large Caesar salad, no croutons, dressing on the side.  And, I either order grilled chicken or two small meatballs on the side.  Sometimes I even indulge in a small piece of their fresh baked bread, dipped in olive oil.  This meal always gives me a two hour reading under 100.

After several months of following my strict eating plan, I really wanted a piece of chocolate.  So, I allowed for the extra carbs and bought a small Hershey bar.  It didn't even taste that good to me.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

When I was diagnosed I had no idea it might be Diabetes.  As a matter of fact I have no relatives I know of that have Diabetes.  I had no excessive thirst, my cuts healed fast and well.... but my reading at diagnosis was 499! The nurse was alarmed and told me to start drinking water and to come right in, which I did....

My only symptom was being tired in the afternoon and dozing (I never doze during the day, still don't) .... and the head feeling like I was thinking through syrup.  I thought it was just part of getting older (I was around 55 at the time).... it sure wasn't.

There are medications that are suspected of causing Diabetes because they inhibit the body from processing glucose. .

These drugs are: Ace Inhibitors,  ARB's (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker), CCB's (Calcium Channel Blocker), Beta Blockers (I've been on one for years), Diaretics (I've been on one for years).  I was on another one Lisinopri (which I've quit)

The inclination of some of these antihypertensive drugs to give rise to diabetes has been known since at least 1958. They lower the glucose tolerance of the body.

I believe my own case of Diabetes was brought on from thes drugs since I have no Diabetics in my family....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Q4U, does your doctor know you are taking aspirin? There are non-narcotic prescription medications out there that might be a better choice. You aren't on Plavix or anything like that, are you? There are few concerns with that, but Plavix and aspirin are not a good combination.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Everyone is different can't be emphasized enough. A c-peptide test can tell how much insulin a person makes. The longer a Type 2 patient has diabetes the more likely their pancreas will produce less and less insulin. Also there are antibody tests that can diagnose type 1 1/2 diabetes which in most cases insulin will be necessary for good control. 

That's why someone's neighbor may be able to eat pizza yet someone else will run a high hours later. Pizza is notorious for raising blood sugar hours later. Also the longer a patient has diabetes the more likely gastroparesis may have an effect on when the blood glucose rises. 

The best way to determine what foods a diabetic can eat is diligent use of a glucometer. Trends in blood glucose are invaluable in putting together an individualized food plan that accomplishes the A1C your medical provider has set for the patient.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Q4U, does your doctor know you are taking aspirin? There are non-narcotic prescription medications out there that might be a better choice. You aren't on Plavix or anything like that, are you? There are few concerns with that, but Plavix and aspirin are not a good combination.

Poodlepet2

I had a major heart attack last June and take both enteric coated aspirin and plavix. Once again everything is individual. 

Honored Contributor

I want to stress pizza is only a once in a while type thing for me.  I haven't had any in about 3 months

I don't think a diabetic should eat it on a regular basis,or pasta either.  I have a worse time with pasta ,than I do with any other foods.  Bread and potatoes run about neck and neck with me

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I want to stress pizza is only a once in a while type thing for me.  I haven't had any in about 3 months

I don't think a diabetic should eat it on a regular basis,or pasta either.  I have a worse time with pasta ,than I do with any other foods.  Bread and potatoes run about neck and neck with me

If a patient produces an adequate amount of insulin to cover a slice of pizza or pasta and their a1c is target level...then enjoy!!! Cherry, once again it's all about the individual and what triggers their blood glucose to rise. 

Honored Contributor

I tested 2 hrs after eating and my b.s. was at 153.  Do you think  I should try substituting a piece of ham for the potatoes, to see if I can get it lower?

Respected Contributor

Q4U, as long as it's sanctioned by your doctor.....I'm a Pradaxa GirlSmiley Happy  They both work differently, and if it prevents a stroke or heart attack, I'm kind of ok-more so with Plavix than Pradaxa for a number of reasons, but my docs chose Pradaxa.

I was on Coumadin years ago following a DVT-I only had to look the wrong way and my clotting times would be off either too high or low. Green leafy vegetables were a no-no along with other foods.  So far, the only food I can't have is grapefruit.  I was never a big fan of it, but occasionally I find myself craving it. 

It's the old "forbidden fruit" thing!

Poodlepet2