Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

It's been awhile, but he ate meat and cheese and eggs, very small portions of some veggies. No sauces or dressings. And get this - he was a salesman for some medical equipment company and lived in China! Would be pretty difficult in China with all the rice or noodles part of everything.

Whoa my first thought was he must have had breath that killed.... and some gastro problems.

Also I understand meat is extremely expensive in China....

(I worked with a woman who only ate meat, cheeze and eggs.... no veggies of any kind and it was almost impossible to stand next to her!) Woman Tongue

Keto breath? Must admit I never thought about that. But now that I think of it, there was a group of posters who aimed to be in ketoacidosis all the time. He might have been one of them.

I think you mean ketosis? Ketoacidosis is life threatening and rarely appears in patients with diabetes Type 2. It is more common in Type 1 diabetics.

Ketoacidosis is dangerous because dangerous levels of ketone bodies build up in the blood for patients that produce no insulin on their own. Ketosis results when the body has exhausted its stored glycogen and is burning fatty tissue for energy.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I am just careful not to order pizza, and most of the time no pasta. I still eat regular meals meat, potatos, veg, salad,  I don't eat a lot of rice, but I do have it mixed in other things

I make a stuffed pepper soup ,and throw a box of Zatarains jambalya in it.  There is rice in it ,but more meat and green pepper

We can have some carbs. A slice of pizza on occasion is OK too

I think you just have to go by trial and error

I don't have a lot of sweets. A carb is a carb ,trade somethings you don't care about ,for things you like ,and see what happens

We are all different. I was afraid my meal tonight would run my BS up, but it didn't.

I don't have  the experience that poodle and moon do, but I am learning

I buy low carb nuts for snacks. At breakfast my husband and I will split a small glass of OJ because I like it

I have a bag of Stella Doro almond toast for a treat. They aren't full of frosting, but I like them on occasion

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

It's been awhile, but he ate meat and cheese and eggs, very small portions of some veggies. No sauces or dressings. And get this - he was a salesman for some medical equipment company and lived in China! Would be pretty difficult in China with all the rice or noodles part of everything.

Whoa my first thought was he must have had breath that killed.... and some gastro problems.

Also I understand meat is extremely expensive in China....

(I worked with a woman who only ate meat, cheeze and eggs.... no veggies of any kind and it was almost impossible to stand next to her!) Woman Tongue

Keto breath? Must admit I never thought about that. But now that I think of it, there was a group of posters who aimed to be in ketoacidosis all the time. He might have been one of them.

I think you mean ketosis? Ketoacidosis is life threatening and rarely appears in patients with diabetes Type 2. It is more common in Type 1 diabetics.

Ketoacidosis is dangerous because dangerous levels of ketone bodies build up in the blood for patients that produce no insulin on their own. Ketosis results when the body has exhausted its stored glycogen and is burning fatty tissue for energy.

Ah yes, @Trinity11, I did mean ketosis. Oops!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Shanus  I am just careful not to order pizza, and most of the time no pasta. I still eat regular meals meat, potatos, veg, salad,  I don't eat a lot of rice, but I do have it mixed in other things

I make a stuffed pepper soup ,and throw a box of Zatarains jambalya in it.  There is rice in it ,but more meat and green pepper

We can have some carbs. A slice of pizza on occasion is OK too

I think you just have to go by trial and error

I don't have a lot of sweets. A carb is a carb ,trade somethings you don't care about ,for things you like ,and see what happens

We are all different. I was afraid my meal tonight would run my BS up, but it didn't.

I don't have  the experience that poodle and moon do, but I am learning

I buy low carb nuts for snacks. At breakfast my husband and I will split a small glass of OJ because I like it

I have a bag of Stella Doro almond toast for a treat. They aren't full of frosting, but I like them on occasion

@cherry, I too still eat rice, but have learned to mix it in with stuff as you say. I feel like I'm eating rice, but not nearly as much as I used to.

My boss when I was working was diagnosed a few months before I was. She loved pizza above all else. She exercised a fair amount. She could handle a couple of slices of pizza for a meal if she walked afterwards. It's trial and error. I don't believe in saying 'never ever' about anything.

It's very true that 'a carb is a carb' - something else I learned early on the diabetes forum. That's why a diabetic will order a slice of pizza and a diet soda. They'd rather "spend" the carbs on the pizza. Or why I will sometimes have coffee and a donut for breakfast. One medium cake choc donut is 22 carbs - less than 2 slices of high fiber bread.

Nuts are def the diabetic's friend. I miss having all kinds of juice, very much. I will sometimes have a bottled fresh juice when I'm sick, and the heck with the carbs. But for OJ there is Trop 50, with half the usual carbs. Trader Joe's (and other places) have Almondina, that are like thinly sliced biscotti. Very low carb.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Cherry, at one point my DE wanted me to have Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM).  In the discussion I had with her, I learned blood glucose can fluctuate minute to minute-just like blood pressure. It can also vary from finger to finger and from hand to hand.

Funny real life story: I washed my hands and dried them.  I pulled out my glucose monitor and tested. It was 350!!!! I panicked and called my husband to come home right away-and then it hit me, for it to be that high, I would have symptoms: hunger, nausea, sweating etc.  I washed my hands again and tested on my opposite hand. It was 88! I tested my control solution: my meter was within range!  I just had to test again-to be sure. I stuck a finger in my "offending" hand: it was 96.  I was relieved needless to say.  My table -where I test-looked clean, but somehow I must have come into contact with something sweet in the time between washing my hands and pulling the meter out of my purse.

Poodlepet2

Hmmm I'm a bit confused. I'm a type 1 diabetic and found it interesting how you describe your high blood sugar symptoms. Whenever I experience "hunger, nausea, sweating, etc." my blood sugar levels are extremely low! The symptoms I get when my sugars are in the 300's is extreme thirst and going pee a lot. I'm glad you decided to re-check yourself and found you were in the normal range. I'm sure it was quite a relief. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Hmmm I'm a bit confused. I'm a type 1 diabetic and found it interesting how you describe your high blood sugar symptoms. Whenever I experience "hunger, nausea, sweating, etc." my blood sugar levels are extremely low! The symptoms I get when my sugars are in the 300's is extreme thirst and going pee a lot. I'm glad you decided to re-check yourself and found you were in the normal range. I'm sure it was quite a relief. 

@ID2 my family member is also Type 1. The symptoms you describe when you are low are the same ones I've observed in him with one addition: dizziness. I have seen him stagger or actually slump against furniture or a wall - whichever is closer.

Btw, do any or all of you wear a bracelet or some kind of object that identifies you as someone who has diabetes? If not, I highly recommend that you consider it. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

Moonchilde, what you said about how to count carbs is true for all of us-except when it comes to sugar alcohols. Waving that issue aside, you subtract the amount of fiber from the total amount of carbs.  For example, if a label says something has 30 grams of carbs per serving and five grams of fiber ( soluble and insoluble in amounts that equal 5), in actuality, you are consuming 25 grams of carbs.

That being said-a very important reminder- test and see how you respond and how you feel.  This is probably not going to be an issue when it comes to whole foods, but when it comes to things like bars and low carb shakes, it could be.

Don't trust manufacturer claims of "0 net carbs": be a skeptic.  What matters is YOUR response, and how that food makes YOU feel.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Cherry, with the purest intentions, not all carbohydrates are created equally-by any stretch. 

They are typically divided into two categories: fast and slow burning.

I don't give much credence to the Glycemic Index, but there are some things that are true.....

White flour and sugar are fast carbs.  Your body does not have to do much of anything to convert them to usable energy in the form of glucose.  Marathon runners have been using this technique for years-but we are talking about fit, trim people with no problems. One or two days before a marathon, they load up on pasta. It gets converted into glycogen where its stored in the liver and muscles.  When they are running, that glycogen , through an amazing chain of chemical events, gets turned into glucose. They don't have the problems we do with resistance: an insulin molecule captures the glucose and gets it into cells.  They literally have the energy they need to get through a long race.  White sugar is another fast carb.

Those two things are probably the biggest gripes among health care professionals.

Whole wheat and grains are a better idea because the bran is still attached and the body may not absorb the full brunt of the carbs because the fiber is slowing down the absorption and conversion to glucose.

We still need to watch portions though-that is not going to change.

BUT, here we go: we are all different.  Some of us will do well by incorporating whole grains in their diet-but others like me? Not so much.

Cherry, if you can tolerate potatoes- and the occasional piece of pizza, there is no need to apologize! It sounds like you have things under control! Enjoy! There are people like you who do very well staying on the low-fat more traditional diet....and then, there are people like me that does not do so well with grains of any kind-fast or not. That's ok too-and there are millions like me too!

How many people tried "sensible" diets like "Deal-a-Meal" and failed? It is a sensible diet: it was/ is compliant with current/ past recommendations.  You will probably be full and happy IF you have a normal metabolism and no insulin resistance.....I, for one, failed at the sensible diets.  I tried McDougall for 3 months in the late 80's/ early 90's.  I was chronically hungry-I gained weight and my cholesterol went down but my LDLs went to the moon.

I bet many others here share my experiences with sensible diets.  I felt like a failure-an utter absolute failure.  I remember sneaking down to the kitchen and scarfing down cereal followed by whatever else I could put in my mouth.  I hated myself and thought I had no self-control.

I'm not the only one here with this story! Let's talk about this; I have no doubts that others are filled with shame, and hating themselves because they think they have no self-control. 

Today's Positive Thought: quit blaming and judging yourself.  There are solutions-let's find them together!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

ID2, you can have those symptoms if you are running too high: many have told me a hallmark for them is lethargy....but you can get nasty symptoms with either. A feeling of "wellness" hits a lot of people.  The nausea makes sense to me....and so does the sweating.

For me, I have very few symptoms of when I plummet down-maybe a feeling of being "spaced out" and that's it.  Because I don't have symptoms, I am undeniably nutzoid about testing.

I think a good rule for us- insulin dependent or not-is "When In Doubt , Check It Out".  We all have different reactions and perceptions.  I look at it like I do about the issue of heart attacks and Women.  Women are misdiagnosed often because our symptoms can be quite different from a man's.  Thankfully, the tide is turning on that issue and heart attacks and symptoms are not thought to be exclusively a man's disease anymore.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I'm here to learn @Poodlepet2