Honored Contributor

Does anyone have one and how does it lower your A1C?

Trusted Contributor

I'm in a study with the Gluclose monitoring system through my HMO.  It does not lower your blood sugars or A1C.  It takes your blood every 5 minutes and sends the info to a smart phone application.  It makes me more aware of what I'm eating or if I'm sick or stressed out (that will raise your blood sugar).  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

Does anyone have one and how does it lower your A1C?

It makes you more aware of your blood sugar throughout the day. Therefore it could help lower your A1C. I'm currently using the Freestyle Libre. 

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

I have type 1 diabetes and wear a Dex. This has been a literal lifesaver for me. I don't feel it when my blood sugar goes down and this will alert me when I am getting too low. I can then take care of it before it gets dangerous. The way a Dexcom can help you lower your A1c is just to make you aware of how certain foods affect your blood sugar and you take steps to correct that. It's a continuous glucose monitor that you calibrate twice a day. You insert a sensor and transmitter in your tummy arm, leg, wherever works best for you, and it transmits your glucose levels to your receiver and/or phone.