Honored Contributor

Anyone have one. Th claim is that it lowers your A1C. I thought only YOU could do that. I would like more personal info on this. Thank you all in advance.

Trusted Contributor

No.  It measures your blood glucose level every 5 minutes instead of pricking your finger. Google Dex Com and you can get more detailed information.

Honored Contributor

n/m

Honored Contributor

My son who is now 47 and was diagnosed w/ diabetes at age 13 has an insulin pump and is very happy w/it.

Regular Contributor

I have type 1 diabetes and I wear a Dexcom. It is a blood glucose monitoring device. You insert a sensor into you and it measures your glucose every 5 minutes. A small bluetooth device is attached to the sensor which talks to a transmitter that you carry around with you (or your phone and an app from Dexcom). You have to calibrate it twice a day, but that is significantly less than if you didn't have a dexcom! The way that it "lowers your glucose" is that It lets you see how different kinds of food, exercise, etc affects your glucose levels. Then it's up to you to do something about it. I have one because I get low blood sugar and I don't feel it, which can be very dangerous, especially during the night. It sends out an alarm to you when your glucose levels get low. I have been woken up by this alarm MANY times! It has been a lifesaver for me.

Trusted Contributor

I am 55 and was diagnosed as diabetic at the age of 6 years old. For the passed 3 years or so I have been on the medtronic insulin pump, prior to that multiple injections a day. 

The pump I  have had a continuous glucose monitoring device but had a lot of problems. Dexcom is suppose to be better. Next year my insurance will cover replacing my pump. My doctor at this time is interested in the omnipod , and a continuos glucose monitoring.