Respected Contributor

I am going to have a dental implant in a left lower molar. 

I am wondering about the process, as I had a horrible time with the extraction and recovery - lots of pain and swelling.

Oral surgeon said I didn't need a bone graft as bone is adequate.  I am wondering generally how long the process takes - one visit, more than one?

I know things vary widely.  I forgot to ask how much it costs!

Would appreciate any information.  Thanks.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I am going to have a dental implant in a left lower molar. 

I am wondering about the process, as I had a horrible time with the extraction and recovery - lots of pain and swelling.

Oral surgeon said I didn't need a bone graft as bone is adequate.  I am wondering generally how long the process takes - one visit, more than one?

I know things vary widely.  I forgot to ask how much it costs!

Would appreciate any information.  Thanks.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 @There are a couple of recent threads on this. You might want to look at them until someone responds to your post. Wish I could be more helpful, but I have not had implants.

Respected Contributor

You will be paying a lot and most insurance companies do not pay for it. The process took me almost a year but mine was a back molar and a bone graft was needed. It was a grueling process for me. At least I got a permanent tooth rather than a bridge.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

You will be paying a lot and most insurance companies do not pay for it. The process took me almost a year but mine was a back molar and a bone graft was needed. It was a grueling process for me. At least I got a permanent tooth rather than a bridge.

@chessylady 

I know I will have to pay all of it.

Hyacinth

Frequent Contributor

I have two dental implants, one an upper left eye tooth, the other a lower right molar.    I only required one extraction, the upper left eye tooth , the lower right had been extracted years previously and I decided to get the implant for that tooth due to teeth shifting.

I had no problems with the extraction nor did I require bone grafts.  The reason it takes 6-9 months from start to finish is for healing time.  Several months from the extraction then the implant is done and another several months until the tooth is installed. I experienced no problems with either implant other than some minor discomfort the first day.  I used only 800 mg ibuprofen for pain on day 1.   I had some swelling but nothing major.

I suggest you get a price quote as implants can be rather pricey.  I believe the implants were $2500 per implant then add the cost of the teeth.   I have dental insurance and though insurance did not cover the implants they did pay 50% of the cost of the tooth implant.  Additionally, my dentist gave me a pretty good discount perhaps because I got 2 additional crowns at the same time.

I experienced no problems and am extremely pleased with my implants.  I might mention I have a fairly high level of tolerance to pain.   This was my experience only.

Esteemed Contributor

Cost of implants varies widely but its always expensive.  DH had a mouthful of implants that ultimately failed ( he has dentures now).  The important point is that many dentists offer Care Credit where anything over $1000(maybe less, I don't remember) can be paid over an extended term, interest free ( you do need to make minimum payments monthly).  Care Credit certainly made it easier to pay our dental bill of $40,000.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dental implants

[ Edited ]

I'm surprised and sad for you your oral surgeon didn't OFFER you information about the entire process and, of course, the cost.  You shouldn't have to ask for any of this.

It's expensive, even more so if you're in a large city.  You'll have to pay for the implant and the abutment. Your regular dentist will finish up the crown (tooth).

Every case is different.  If it were me, I'd make another (free) appointment so they can explain these things properly.  If they balk at this, to be honest, I'd find another doctor.

ETA- I've had two implants, from two different doctors.  Both gave me a written copy of the cost in advance.  Also, you should find out what the crown will cost from your regular DDS.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dental implants

[ Edited ]

I forgot to mention that sometimes an oral surgeon will want to sedate a patient with general (light) anethesia. Of course this costs extra, or at least that was my experience.  And don't have this done on a Friday or any day of the week where they'll be closed the next day or two after your procedure.  Just in case you need them.

Respected Contributor

@decaf   Good advice about not having it done on a Friday. I feel the same way about Mondays just in case they had a rough weekend.

Valued Contributor

I had an implant with bone graft. Without the bone graft, you would have the post implanted and wait about 2 or 3 months for it to have bone growth around it, and then the crown would be placed. That's the way mine was done -- except I had to wait 3 or 4 months after the bone graft before I could have the post placed. 

Briggsie