Honored Contributor

I'm having a difficult time. It's a complex mix of an ongoing problem with depression, chronic pain, and grief. I did have a really great, small local group dedicated to dealing with grief and we had an online chat that was helpful, but the group has lost our therapist (she moved away) and little by little the meetings are fizzling out. I was wondering, if anyone has found a forum or chat board they like, would you please post the information here?

Thanks, and take good care of yourselves, everyone. It helps to remember we are never alone whatever our journey might be.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Are any of you seeing a Grief Counselor?

The loss of my Marriage of 20 years, then the death of my whole family seven months later, plus losing my job just about drove me over the edge.

But I am a survivor.

And what helps you survive is reaching out for help, and not on a chat board.

That may be fine for sharing some things, but get to a Professional Grief Counselor.

Mine has helped me more than you know.

This board may be a help, But you NEED to TALK to a human being.

Talk to a REAL PERSON.

Talking with a Professional Grief Counselor will be much more helpful than typing your pain on a chat board and doing nothing but that.

And on that note, I wish all of you peace as I continue to pray for and work on my own....with the caring assistance of my grief counselor.

Honored Contributor
On 10/23/2014 Oneanddone said:

Are any of you seeing a Grief Counselor?

The loss of my Marriage of 20 years, then the death of my whole family seven months later, plus losing my job just about drove me over the edge.

But I am a survivor.

And what helps you survive is reaching out for help, and not on a chat board.

That may be fine for sharing some things, but get to a Professional Grief Counselor.

Mine has helped me more than you know.

This board may be a help, But you NEED to TALK to a human being.

Talk to a REAL PERSON.

Talking with a Professional Grief Counselor will be much more helpful than typing your pain on a chat board and doing nothing but that.

And on that note, I wish all of you peace as I continue to pray for and work on my own....with the caring assistance of my grief counselor.

Hi, Oneanddone. I do have a grief counselor (eta, I think some of us discussed that earlier in the thread). I agree with what you say about the importance of having a good counselor for face-to-face support.

My late husband was a psychiatrist, two of my dearest friends are therapists, and I do want to be sure it didn't sound as though I meant an online group was to be anyone's sole means of guidance or support. I think we need a good mix of ways to reach out, to share and offer support to one another (I think that also has been stressed throughout this thread and the Depression thread, but it's a good reminder).

My prayers continue for you, and for all those who are in pain.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

adoreqvc, it's so nice to know you are back with us for a while. I hope your travels have been happy ones. Between you and Phillip, I'm sure they were.

And to all my other friends on this thread, I'm glad that each and every one of you is here for all of us. My heart and tears go out to all of you.

My little sister has been gone for about 17 months now and there are moments when I stop and think to myself, "I have to call___________ now and see how her day has been." I don't think I will ever believe she is not coming back to share my life. There are those times that you know there is a huge part of yourself that is gone and the void that she has left in me will never be filled. She wasn't just my sister, she was my best friend, who always had my back.

We don't have many people in our lives like that.

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone. I was posting on the cancer thread because my husband was ill. Sadly he died a week ago today. I'm going to my first group grief counseling session today. I know you understand but the pain, despair, panic, loss, and..... on it goes, that I am feeling is almost debilitating.
Respected Contributor

Oh, Cocoablue, I am so sorry to hear about your dear husband's death, and just one week ago. What you are feeling right now is absolutely normal and you have to get through each day one hour at a time. In some ways time does heal us, but it will never be the same as when our husbands were with us.

Please let us know how you are doing, and I'm hear if you want to talk, cry or vent.

Regular Contributor
Thank you big sister. It's a struggle.
Trusted Contributor
On 11/6/2014 Cocoablue said: Hi everyone. I was posting on the cancer thread because my husband was ill. Sadly he died a week ago today. I'm going to my first group grief counseling session today. I know you understand but the pain, despair, panic, loss, and..... on it goes, that I am feeling is almost debilitating.

I recently lost my father from cancer. I know exactly your pain. It is debilitating. There are days I don't want to go out of the house. Sometimes, just dressing and brushing my teeth are exhausting. I just lost my job too. I have some "friends" who are no where to be found now. It's rather illuminating that people you think will be there for you don't like to deal with others who are suffering.

I am also reaching out for grief support, but some of the therapists I've seen have been unprofessional and not compassionate. I plan to go to my local hospice (where my Dad passed) and do the group sessions, although I really need to talk to someone one on one.

My prayers and love are with you. Thank you for sharing your post.

Honored Contributor

(((Cocoablue))) and (((DARING GREATLY))). This thread has been a blessing to me. There are some incredibly warm, compassionate, posters who share their experience and support and it's a good reminder that you don't walk your path alone. I hope you'll read back through all the posts and possibly even look at the thread about "Depression" since some of the help and support there also is applicable. I learned that the wee hours of the night were the worst for me, and I always could come here even if just to read the threads and I could feel a connection.

Face-to-face counseling is important. It can be difficult to find the right therapist or group, but I've found asking trusted physicians or people in such places as your place of worship can often direct you to someone who's a good fit. It's so personal, so individual, so it might take a while.

Please remember to take good care of yourself, be gentle with yourself. Sending prayers and good thoughts to all.

Regular Contributor
Thank you dooBdoo. A connection is so important. When anyone asks me what they can do, I say keep in contact with me. I fear as time goes on and life goes on, most people will lose touch with me. I find my worst item is early morning. I thought it was going to be night time, but after iI finally fall asleep from exhaustion, I wake up about 4:00 a.m. and cry and get to 6:00 am so I watch the news for a while. I have 2 doggies that need to be fed and go out so that gives me a reason to get up. I will read through the threads at some point. Diana