Trusted Contributor

Re: Delayed/Complicated Grief

[ Edited ]

Spoiler
And there are still some who believe Covid19 virus is a hoax.  Covidiots and followers of the "is what it is" clown.

@Bri369 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

If 400,000 Americans die of covid by the end of the year, we will have about 4 million people dealing with very messy grief.  I am counting 10 mourners for each death.

Services have been delayed or abbreviated.  Some of my friends blame others for the death of a friend or relative.

This sounds like a mental health crisis is coming after the physical crisis ends.

I'm curious where you're getting your 400,000 figure from?  As of now, we're just around 200,000.  

Regardless, there are mental health agencies or other avenues of help for people dealing with Covid.  

@Bri369 

“An influential model is predicting a catastrophic winter with a significant rise in coronavirus deaths.

A possible scenario sees 415,090 Covid-19 deaths by January, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington says in its latest forecast. The worst-case scenario is 600,000 deaths by January 1.”

Respected Contributor

All the stats can be found.  That is why I don't quibble about them.  Most of us want to know the facts so we can prepare.

Those who want to avoid the facts can deny or quibble about the facts.  It is their right, unless they are in charge of taking care of others.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I consider myself a survivor of covid. I was very sick for a long time and I am facing long-term health problems b/c of it. 

Letting go of my anger and fear of the financial burden that covid has caused is my only saving grace. My life is changed forever, financially as well as physically and emotionally, and I struggle each day with finding ways to stay positive about it all. I live alone and sometimes that is not an easy thing to do.

ETA - In a peculiar way I feel a bit grief-stricken b/c I am no longer the person I use to be before covid. I am physically not the same and with that I cannot do the things I did before I got sick. The person I was is gone and I'm grieving the loss is what I'm trying to say here.

Silleemee, you always express yourself so well. I'm sorry that the virus has affected you and continues to do so. My prayers and a virtual hug to you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think the point of posting such dire news. The media does a good enough job of that themselves. It only tends to depress some people more and cause anxiety. Besides, it's only a theory: no one actually knows what will happen. Of course, people don't have to read these threads, either. The best thing to do, if these threads upset certain people, is to ignore certain posters. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

I have faith in a higher power.  I know when it's my time, it's my time and I'm not going to waste energy and worry myself sick about it.  

I have had many losses of family and friends (not Covid) in my life as well as a husband who has had health problems for 40 years - heart, cancer, Crohn's disease, etc.

We started dealing with this in our 20's and now we're 65.  I realize some people have never had anything much wrong health wise or even loss (many of my friends still have their parents/siblings/friends).  

But we have had loss - and you know what?  We all need to be at peace with ourselves and take life as it comes.

I pray a lot and we are careful but we still ride a motorcycle (gasp!) and have been out to eat, hair salon, dentist, etc.  

Try not to let yourselves get eaten up by this - what will be, will be. <3

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one knows what will happen and we need to do what's best for each of us and our families. 

Right now I'm feeling a bit frustrated with my next door neighbor.  They are having a child's birthday party and there has to be about ten cars of guests between their driveway & the street. There have to be a dozen kids over....the kids are mostly outdoors but most of the adults are indoors.  You would think they never heard of social distancing!

Respected Contributor

Yup, those adults are in denial.  If someone else gets covid from them and dies, there will be complicated grief.  Imagine knowing the person who killed your loved one.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't know.  Canada had no deaths yesterday and we had 1000.  Just this AM I was thinking about trying to make a break across the border.  (We live very close.)  I admire the Canadians.  It seems their human intervention has been successful.

@KarenQVC Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517sq km, making United States 98.49% the size of Canada. Meanwhile, the population of Canada is ~35.6 million people (291.0 million more people live in United States).

If you want to go for Canada, no reason not to!  People should live where they are happy and comfortable. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't know.  Canada had no deaths yesterday and we had 1000.  Just this AM I was thinking about trying to make a break across the border.  (We live very close.)  I admire the Canadians.  It seems their human intervention has been successful.

@KarenQVC Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517sq km, making United States 98.49% the size of Canada. Meanwhile, the population of Canada is ~35.6 million people (291.0 million more people live in United States).

If you want to go for Canada, no reason not to!  People should live where they are happy and comfortable. 

They won't let you in unless you're an essential worker.  Signs are all over Michigan to that effect.  We traveled up north the past 3 months several times and there's digital signs posted.

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

All the stats can be found.  That is why I don't quibble about them.  Most of us want to know the facts so we can prepare.

Those who want to avoid the facts can deny or quibble about the facts.  It is their right, unless they are in charge of taking care of others.

Exactly how are you preparing other than spreading doom? 

Anyone who knows anything about statistics knows they can easily be slanted by changing one variable or one assumption to obtain the results the person wants.  So these really are not facts.  Perhaps that could help you in your preparation. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.