Valued Contributor

Re: Delayed/Complicated Grief

[ Edited ]

Doubt I will ever develop an appreciation for those that take in fragmented information, distill it through their mind, add some emotion and poetry and then spoon feed it to others with a heavy dose of their bias. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

Pity the opinion writers.  Their job of provoking conversation and thought would be lost.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't know.  Canada had no deaths yesterday and we had 1000.  Just this AM I was thinking about trying to make a break across the border.  (We live very close.)  I admire the Canadians.  It seems their human intervention has been successful.

@KarenQVC Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517sq km, making United States 98.49% the size of Canada. Meanwhile, the population of Canada is ~35.6 million people (291.0 million more people live in United States).

If you want to go for Canada, no reason not to!  People should live where they are happy and comfortable. 

They won't let you in unless you're an essential worker.  Signs are all over Michigan to that effect.  We traveled up north the past 3 months several times and there's digital signs posted.

@tarsmom So that's a huge difference between us and Canada right there.  

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 Wrote:  Where I live I really don't even feel like we are still in a "pandemic". We've been pretty much open for many months now. I don't know anyone that's had this virus. I never experienced sorrow. I've taken the time of the lockdown to get a better handle on my well being. Which includes my head. I never live my life always thinking of doom and gloom. I'm probably the only happy person out there through this whole mess. 

@ID2, You're fortunate.  Unfortunately, there are many that have not been blessed as you have to "never experienced sorrow".

Respected Contributor

Just read a wonderful story about a volunteer organization in NYC who buries any Jewish person whose body is not claimed.  They do all the proper rituals for them, even if they come out of one of those covid freezer trailers.

They are such honorable people, but they will need mental health help after this is over.  They have done up to 30 burials a day this year.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

It is a tribute to those who have died to find out why they did.  That info will also be needed for the mourners to resolve grief.  It will build an energy to never let that happen again.

If anyone thinks we are invincible against all illness, I have a news flash for you.  It doesn't work that way.  Go back and read the Hot Zone.  Yes, it is from a while back, but a virus far more deadly than this one could happen.

And has happened in many parts of the world.  Just not here recently. You can't always find an answer, legislate it away, or stop the world to stop the spread.  We are all at risk all the time. From all sorts of things we can't manage. 

Just because we don't live in the stone age, it doesn't mean some stone age thing won't kill us. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee I feel for you so much, you and others who have suffered loss wrought by the horrors of this year. While I have been fortunate, I just lost a close friend to COVID and she also had numerous other serious medical issues.

I've read a little about complicated grief. I have probably been dealing with that since my mother died nearly 5 years ago. Though maybe it is softening now. She would hope so.

Therapy is probably necessary to help yourself heal. Several friends were urging me to get help, but foolishly I kept thinking I should be able to manage on my own, and I didn't want to invest the time or money. Now I understand that some things are too much for us to handle on our own, and it's not a sign of weakness to seek help. Maybe it's even a sign of courage and strength.

I do hope you can find peace and feel better physically, emotionally, and financially.

Honored Contributor

@Thats Me 

Thank you so much for your very kind words and understanding.Heart You sound like a very nice person. I'll be okay. Please don't worry. I've been working on things to get on with my life in a positive way. I'm being tested and I have my faith to make it through again. Thank you for thinking of me. That makes me feel good.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee @This can be a good place to express what's hard to do in person. I'll be thinking of you. It helps us both to connect, however it works best or easiest!

Of course I wish you the best of luck in your test results and the work you're doing to heal. Faith is a great thing too!

i tell you, one of the very hardest things about losing my friend recently, besides just that loss, is that she didn't want to be seen before she had covid (she had been back and forth between a hospital and a rehab facility for hip replacement followed by infection, and cancer treatment); I sure couldn't see her after she got COVID; and her husband had been very passive about communicating. So I couldn't see her, couldn't talk to her, and he didn't then and doesn't now want to be contacted. He's grieving terribly.

So there is a lot of complicated grief going around, surely more than in "normal" times.

Be well sillemee!

Esteemed Contributor

@nevergivesup Hello. Just read your note. I also grieve over the harshness in our country. We're a great, young, country whose efforts make the globe a better place - but we have much to learn. I hope we're not too proud to learn. I love my country but I'm not the type of person to live in denial.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau