Honored Contributor

Thank you @hckynut . Wow sounds like you had very bad experience, too. I learned a lesson that day in the ER...that was my wake-up call.

Esteemed Contributor

BTW, I recently learned that coffee actually DEhydrates you.  Both a doctor and a nurse told me that for every cup of coffee I drink, I need to have an extra cup of water.  Who knew?   I had always thought my morning coffee counted as water, but no.  

I started drinking more water a few years back after an "episode."   Within weeks I noticed my skin looked better, my nails were healthier, and I just felt better in general.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

One night, a long time ago, I rolled over on my pillow and I heard a pop in one ear. Then immediately after that I got extremely dizzy, nauseous and I couldn't stand up or walk. I called my friend to take me to the ER because I didn't know what was wrong with me and that I couldn't stand or walk. I was vomiting and pooping all at once and the dizziness was so extreme I couldn't function. They took my blood in the ER and examined me. It turned out to be severe dehydration! That made the little crystal in my inner ear to move and that caused the extreme vertigo and everything else. It was one of the worst things I ever went through. 

Since that episode I have been very careful about staying hydrated. That scared me to death.

Wow @SilleeMee  that sounds scary....I just had a glass of water!  I rarely drink water except in the morning with my vitamins.  I am rarely thirsty and I just never think about it...

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

BTW, I recently learned that coffee actually DEhydrates you.  Both a doctor and a nurse told me that for every cup of coffee I drink, I need to have an extra cup of water.  Who knew?   I had always thought my morning coffee counted as water, but no.  

I started drinking more water a few years back after an "episode."   Within weeks I noticed my skin looked better, my nails were healthier, and I just felt better in general.

@tototwo 

Those that know they do not drink much water should make an extra effort to find out the drinks that not only do not hydrate, they dehydrate. There are many that while wet, have ingredients in them that cause the body to dehydrate.

Once again, "who knew"?  Check!!!  Once again I am SMH at things some seasoned/older adults are not aware of things such as this.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Dehydration Info

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

Thirst is never a guide to ones hydration level. There are many that are so used to not drinking much water, that humans should not wait till their "sense of thirst", gets them to drink water.

Anyone doing something in hot, even warm weather, may never acquire "their level of thirsty". But if they continue in the heat, they can easy fall into serious dehydration. Never let "thirst" be your guide. 

Glad you are reading these posts here as they are very important information, especially for those with a few more years behind them.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut ...laughing at the 'few more years behind them' comment.  I'm 65 and have yet to learn the lesson about thirst, sigh.

My face and my eyes have been 'angry' for a few weeks....face is tight and eyes feel uncomfortable....  I'm starting the drink more test for a month and see if it helps my skin.

Respected Contributor

I am sipping my water as I read the forums tonight!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward