Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Oh thank you @goldensrbest . That was very kind of you to say that and it uplifted my spirits today. Woman HappyHeart

I do really like you, and you are very smart!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma 

I am glad to hear you have upped your H2o intake, now if I could only get my wife to do the same. 

If one considers that the human body is made up more of fluid than anything else, it may be surprising to many. The most important organs of the body rely heavily on fluid to function, and the lack of it can cause serious issues.

Since I have been into high velocity sports and exercise, along with working in 100°+ temperatures for 30 years, drinking water came pretty natural for me.

WHO KNEW?  I sure did and do!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

One night, a long time ago, I rolled over on my pillow and I heard a pop in one ear. Then immediately after that I got extremely dizzy, nauseous and I couldn't stand up or walk. I called my friend to take me to the ER because I didn't know what was wrong with me and that I couldn't stand or walk. I was vomiting and pooping all at once and the dizziness was so extreme I couldn't function. They took my blood in the ER and examined me. It turned out to be severe dehydration! That made the little crystal in my inner ear to move and that caused the extreme vertigo and everything else. It was one of the worst things I ever went through. 

Since that episode I have been very careful about staying hydrated. That scared me to death.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

One night, a long time ago, I rolled over on my pillow and I heard a pop in one ear. Then immediately after that I got extremely dizzy, nauseous and I couldn't stand up or walk. I called my friend to take me to the ER because I didn't know what was wrong with me and that I couldn't stand or walk. I was vomiting and pooping all at once and the dizziness was so extreme I couldn't function. They took my blood in the ER and examined me. It turned out to be severe dehydration! That made the little crystal in my inner ear to move and that caused the extreme vertigo and everything else. It was one of the worst things I ever went through. 

Since that episode I have been very careful about staying hydrated. That scared me to death.

@SilleeMee 

The same thing happened to my Dad. He has had to have those crystals manipulated back into place twice.  

To make sure he was he was drinking his ‘quota’ everyday, I 

made him a pitcher similar to the one I use.  I marked on the outside a line which indicates the number of ounces I need daily.  Fill it when I get up, put it into the fridge, work on it all day, and know each night I did it!

Always appreciate your advice.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

That must have been awful for your dad. Was that from dehydration? Thankfully I did not need manipulation. Things just worked itself out. But since then whenever I feel or think I feel the slightest bit of dizziness, I run and drink a lot of water. It's so scary and I don't ever want to go through that again.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Drythe 

That must have been awful for your dad. Was that from dehydration? Thankfully I did not need manipulation. Things just worked itself out. But since then whenever I feel or think I feel the slightest bit of dizziness, I run and drink a lot of water. It's so scary and I don't ever want to go through that again.

@SilleeMee 

Yes, it wasn’t!  Just awful, and so sick by then he couldn’t push water.

The pitcher has worked out well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Thank you for posting about your experience.  The past year or two I have had extreme Vertigo that makes me dizzy and vomit.  I had to be carried to the ER twice because I couldn't even stand or sit up.

No one mentioned that I could be dehydrated.  They just gave me motion sickness pills to take after many xrays and tests.  They couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Now I will push water if I think I feel the dizziness coming, or better yet drink more.  I agree it is scary.  My DH said he thought I was in the middle of a heart attack and I was as white as a ghost.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dehydration Info

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

I sometimes wish people would have a "wake up call" experience. Just serious enough to get their attention, but not to the extent of what you had to endure. 

Of all my medical issues, the 1 that closely resembled your experience was when, during and Iron Infusion, I went into Anaphylactic Shock. I was in and out of consciousness/woke up and passed out numerous times, once will on the porta potty. Had I not still been in the hospital and headed home? Doubt I would be here today.

It is just hard for me how so many people just don't drink enough water, even to keep their body functioning even close to normal.

Sorry you had to experience something like this, but the solution, from what you've said here, is among the simpler ones, when it comes to going through such a traumatic ordeal as you experienced.

I know you have a myriad of health issues and more than likely dealing with them is more involved than just drinking more water. Glad to see you got through this and are being very careful to monitor your hydration level.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

water is all i drink... i'd say 4 bottles of it a day.. and even with that i know i should be drinking alot more

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

@SilleeMee 

Thank you both so much for posting about your vertigo.   I had a few attacks of it some years ago and was never told dehydration could cause it.  I have been trying to drink more water in the last few years.  When I think back, it is just sad that I drank so little.

I really have to make an effort because I just never seem to be thirsty.  Crazy...........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward