Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi all. I don't post often, but I am a long time forum member. The past couple of months I've been dealing with invasive ductal breast cancer and i just started chemotherapy a week ago. I have at least one lymph node involved that we know of, so they are trying chemo before surgery to hopefully conserve some nodes(surgery wouldn't need to be so radical). I'm going to to mastectomy no matter what-the tumor is big and I'm not messing with lumpectomy. I was having a very positive attitude until the chemo started. The struggle is real. I am fortunate that I have not been sick to my stomach, but the fatigue is terrible. I wasn't running marathons before cancer, and now, oh boy. It has been a week and I'm starting to feel a little better. I haven't left the house though. Another blessing-I was able to take a leave from work and my only child is college age, so I only have myself to worry about right now. My husband been great. I would love any tips on how to psyche (sp?) myself to get back in that chemo chair next Monday. I have to get through 8 sessions of this all together. My summer of chemo. Probably better than my winter of chemo-Smiley Happy I dread going back at the moment, but know I must. I would love any words of wisdom. Thanks for reading and my best to all. 

Valued Contributor

No words of wisdom, but just want to wish you love and prayers and hugs @daisykHeart

Valued Contributor

One of my girlfriends and my uncle are also dealing with chemo.Try to take walks or watch your favorite shows. Hope the next rounds won't be so hard.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Bibione , it does help to know others are going through this too. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @AuntMame !

Respected Contributor

You are in my thoughts during this stressful time. Let us know how you are doing. There are many caring people on this forum, so you are not alone. Hoping for better days ahead.

Super Contributor

daisyk, let me begin by saying I read your post and I understand fully what you are saying.  In June of 2001, I was looking at 6 months of chemo and 37 treatments of radiation.  I went to my first chemo appt. and felt great, no big deal.  However, the side affects began for me after the second treatment.  I told my husband I wanted to quit, I couldn't do this.  He convinced me that I had to continue.  Our daughter was a junior in high school and I wanted to see her graduate.  My counts dropped seriously low and I had to isolate myself from everyone for fear of having to be hospitalized.  I am saying this because as awful as I felt one day,  after awhile, the energy would come back and we had a special day as a family.  If you put your faith in your doctor, give into the various feelings you will have,  plenty of rest etc. and the time will go by.  I went the lumpectomy route, nodes removed and 18 years later doing great.  It is amazing how strong we can be, when necessary.  Best of luck with this journey.

Honored Contributor

@daisyk,

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/d9/7d/e3d97dbe5d154e7188dc80464ef6ac3d.jpg

Respected Contributor

Sending you love and stregnth. You are stronger than  the beast!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Dear @daisyk, I have never been through what you are going through.  But I know a few folks who have, so I have a little glimpse of what you are enduring.

I think your decisions have been wise ones.  Ever heard Winnie the Pooh’s saying “You are braver than you think”?  That is you.  You are on a hard road now, but it is a journey that will end.  You are not alone, and I do hope you come back here often to share your thoughts and concerns.  

I don’t know if you have any religious beliefs or what they might be.  Now is the time to use them full tilt if you do.  One thing I say during tough times is “God, I trust you.”  I will pray for you Daisy, both for your cure and that God will help you as you go through what you must.  I wish I could be there to give you a big HUG.  Sending love and light across the miles.

All my best,

Pam