Honored Contributor

Re: When I see my primary Doctor, DNR

@violann wrote:

Not meaning to add fuel, so PLEASE DISREGARD IF YOU THINK MY COMMENT IS STUPID, SINCE IT MAY BE.

I have recently lost a very dear friend who was severely depressed and had a chronic illness.

The reponsible parties were aware that legal documents, including a DNR and one to withhold "extraordinary treatment".

When we friends requested that my friend be assessed for depression, the request was refused, and because of the legal issues, this was not done. 

Although our friend was LUCID AND had NO sign of any mental issues besides the severe depression and anxiety, we were not aloud to visit, and death occured within a few days.

This has startled me. PLEASE educate me about a situation such as this one.

Sorry .....  You'll have to do the research yourself .... laws vary from state to state.    

Start with google, and see where it goes.   It also wouldn't hurt to see what's on your state's Bar Association website.

Honored Contributor

OP,  I should have never defended you but I felt that there were quite a few women picking on you.  So I apologize for interferring.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@violann wrote:

Not meaning to add fuel, so PLEASE DISREGARD IF YOU THINK MY COMMENT IS STUPID, SINCE IT MAY BE.

I have recently lost a very dear friend who was severely depressed and had a chronic illness.

The reponsible parties were aware that legal documents, including a DNR and one to withhold "extraordinary treatment".

When we friends requested that my friend be assessed for depression, the request was refused, and because of the legal issues, this was not done. 

Although our friend was LUCID AND had NO sign of any mental issues besides the severe depression and anxiety, we were not aloud to visit, and death occured within a few days.

This has startled me. PLEASE educate me about a situation such as this one.

I am so sorry for your loss, this is so sad.

I only hope she lived a full beautiful life...

~ take care of your self so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

OP,  I should have never defended you but I felt that there were quite a few women picking on you.  So I apologize for interferring.

@Katcat1

Please do not apologize, I am new to these boards and I got lost in who was saying what!

I apologize to you one for not saying thank you! Two for saying something I did not research first.

I should of responded to your kindness, I am sorry it looks like they were picking on you also.

I will take the advice of advanced directive, Power of attorney, living will.

take care of your self so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

In the past month, I worked with my lawyer on this.  He strongly advised putting an advance directive / living will in place, but strongly advised AGAINST a DNR.   There are many conditions that are minor, but if a DNR were in place, the patient would die.  Be very careful what you sign and make sure you understand what it means.

This is EXCELLENT advice.Heart

@Katcat1 Yes this is great advice thank you!

@nomless You gave me great advice just wanted to say thank you!

I edited my post I hope this helps others, I didn't just want to delete it so I did a strike through, I hope this helps others understand the difference between DNR, advance directive/living will, power of attorney.

take care of your self so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Super Contributor

@nomless wrote:

No need to delete the thread, Sunshine.  It's very useful to highlight the differecnce the between a DNR and an advance directive / living will.  

Best wishes to you.

Thank you for the best wishes!

I hope everyone now understands the difference between all the options they have, I know you helped me understand.

I hope everything is okay with you.

Best wishes and good health to you.

~ take care of your self so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Honored Contributor

Advance Directives and DNR is very serious stuff, but can easily be reversed at any time by the person  who initiates it, at least in my state. I would not want to be without one, simply because I've seen people suffer long and needlessly because they did not legally make their end of life wishes known. If you have good insurance and no AD or DNR the hospital may well keep you alive at all cost, I've seen that happen quite a few times. I feel my own Mother and Father were kept alive too long with expensive procedures and heroics at their advanced age and dire conditions simply because they did not have AD&DNR and did have great insurance coverage. Once they have you in the system in a serious situation where you cannot make your needs known you are scr-w-d. Noticed the snarky and holier than thou people are here again.LOL Good luck with your surgery Sunshine and welcome to the boards and please don't be intimadated by the few. WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO A VOICE!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DNR advance directive, POA, Living will (Not DNR)

[ Edited ]

WOW!!

OP, good luck with your surgery.