Honored Contributor

Re: Cranberry Pills/Supplement

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Do the cranberry pills help you go to the bathroom less often?  Or are they just to prevent uti’s?

@NicksmomESQ 

The cranberry pills/juice have been thought to prevent UTI's, but many studies have proven they do not.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-cranberry-juice-stop-uti/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I have had the best luck with Puritan's 8 oz concentrate cranberry pure juice.  If I feel a uti coming on, I take 2 Tblsp and then a glass of water a couple of times and it clears me right up.  I would not want to be without it.  The regular cranberry juices contain sugar which makes the uti worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Two things.  The first is that the very best cranberry supplement I've ever taken and keep at hand is one I purchase at Whole Foods.  (It's probably available on Amazon.)  Though I don't have the bottle with me, it's a white plastic bottle with a stylized Greek woman with green vines as decoration.  I cannot recommend this product enough.  It's fabulous!  Have recommended it to other women and they've had excellent results as well.

My second point is relative to age.  If you happen to be post-menopausal and haven't seen an Urologist, please give that a go.  I was experiencing what I thought was an extremely long UTI stretch, which drove me to distraction and interferred with my concentration in surgery.  Got the lecture that as I had just entered menopause and my estrogen level was way down from the previous decades of my life, lack of estrogen was affecting the health of my genitourinary system.  I was initially prescribed a small pill, inserted by way of a blue plastic injector, 2x/wk; but, now use Extrace Cream, which packs more of a wallop, 2x/wk.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  I went through menopause 20 yrs. ago.   I was 48 and never had an issue til 7 mos.ago when a pre-op test showed a UTI. I know my issue is not drinking enough water. I just don't, no idea why. I think I am part camel. I drink coffee mainly and sometimes a half can of Pepsi. I didn't drink more than 4 cups of liquid a day. I am now drinking water all the time. Hopefully all the water will resolve the issue.  I had a renal ultrasound last fall and it was ok.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I take Andrew Lessmans.  His are 400mg capsules and I take 2 of them a day.  His aren't expensive if you get them on sale.

If you are trying to find something to relieve symptoms of a UTI you already have, I would go with the AZO.  But if you are trying to prevent a future UTI or have other bladder issues, go with the cranberry supplements.

---------------

I would be careful with all those OTC -UTI pills like AZO.  They raise your blood pressure. 

I have switched to D Mannose pills. They work for me!! Found out about them from a poster on this forum!!

Honored Contributor

One of Andrew Lessman's monthly specials is his Cranberry. You can get a 240 ct size bottle for $39.90. 

If you take 1 per day it will last you 8 months or 4 months if you take 2 per day.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Two things.  The first is that the very best cranberry supplement I've ever taken and keep at hand is one I purchase at Whole Foods.  (It's probably available on Amazon.)  Though I don't have the bottle with me, it's a white plastic bottle with a stylized Greek woman with green vines as decoration.  I cannot recommend this product enough.  It's fabulous!  Have recommended it to other women and they've had excellent results as well.

My second point is relative to age.  If you happen to be post-menopausal and haven't seen an Urologist, please give that a go.  I was experiencing what I thought was an extremely long UTI stretch, which drove me to distraction and interferred with my concentration in surgery.  Got the lecture that as I had just entered menopause and my estrogen level was way down from the previous decades of my life, lack of estrogen was affecting the health of my genitourinary system.  I was initially prescribed a small pill, inserted by way of a blue plastic injector, 2x/wk; but, now use Extrace Cream, which packs more of a wallop, 2x/wk.

Good luck!

@sfnative  I've been on the Estrace Cream for about 5 years. It's helped me a lot.

Honored Contributor

Agree with @Nightowlz 

I recently started using his cranberry supplement and think they are great. Took a couple of weeks before I noticed changes.