Honored Contributor

Re: Covid Vaccine and Mammograms

We would love to be able to wait for a one dose vaccine, if it comes to fruition. The ones now may turn into 3 doses, if new virus strains keep popping up.  We put our names in several places, but to no avail yet. 

Honored Contributor

Go read the whole article. If I understood correctly, no one is being told to wait 2 years beyond the vaccine to go for a mammo.   There just needs to be delay until the internal inflammation goes away so that you don’t get a false positive after getting the vaccine.  And having read the details, I am wondering if we could get a false positive from a flu shot even.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Go read the whole article. If I understood correctly, no one is being told to wait 2 years beyond the vaccine to go for a mammo.   There just needs to be delay until the internal inflammation goes away so that you don’t get a false positive after getting the vaccine.  And having read the details, I am wondering if we could get a false positive from a flu shot even.

4 weeks waiting period after 2nd shot is what they are advising. I think the poster was just saying she already put it off for over a year, now by the time she is vaccinated, it could be closer to 2 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

THanks for posting .

Honored Contributor

Just had my yearly mammo last month.  But, I'm not in any rush for the vaccine which is a good thing since they are only now starting group 1b which is age 65-74 and a few groups of people and I'm not in any of those groups.  However, saying they are starting group 1b doesn't mean they are actually even scheduling group 1b people, which they aren't due to supply.

Respected Contributor

thanks @Shelbelle .   i am getting my second vaccine tomorrow and am scheduled for a mammogram the week after.  i'm going to put it off.  

Trusted Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

I know my comment won't be popular but this is why I'm waiting before getting the vaccine until more time passes. Some of these signs of inflammation are now showing up. I'm boosting my immune system with Vit D, Vit C, Zinc, and many other things that don't require this rushed vaccine. Just my decision for my body. Don't worry I'm not going out much so don't worry I'm not exposing you. 

I agree with you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Uh-oh...I skipped my last mammo and now it will be two years for next one if I get vaccinated. Oh well.

@SilleeMee 

They didn't say to postpone your mammogram for a year, just to postpone it till four weeks after your shot.  Quoting from the article: 

Women should get their mammogram before their first dose of the vaccine, or wait four weeks after their second dose of the vaccine.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Thank you for this information. I googled various articles and the consensus is to postpone the mammo for 1 month due to the inflammatory response to the lymph nodes that could seem like metastatic cancer. This happens about 16% of the time. I had my mammo scheduled 5 days after my 2nd shot. I rescheduled it to 4 weeks after. As a 2x breast cancer survivor with only one breast, I really don't need or want any possibility of a false positive result.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a positive mammogram and sonogram after my flu shot this past October!!!!

I had the flu shot on Oct 20--on Oct 23 I had my usual every 6 months PET scan (for uterine cancer, which is stable)--got a call back that an enlarged lymph node was found under my left arm--and to go back for a mammogram and sonogram, which I did. After comparing those films to my past films, the conclusion was that the enlarged node was from the flu shot. After the flu shot I had a swollen arm for a few days--i was also black and blue--needed to use cold compresses for a few days to get the swelling down--and a steroid cream. Two months later I had a sonogram of that node and once again it showed selling. Three doctors have told me it's still from the flu shot--they've seen this happen before--and it might be a long time before the node goes back down to normal.

So where do I stand with the COVID vaccine? I don't know as I cannot get an appointment--no one in my area has any vaccines anyway--might not have to worry about this for the next few months. But when the time comes, I would get it in my right arm--not the one that had the flu shot. And so, yes, you can have an issue if you have a mammogram after a flu shot.