Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Pages of kind wishes and helpful suggestions.  Unless I've missed it, I don't see where the OP has even returned. 🤷‍♀️

Those of us who have suffered deep depression and have sought treatment for it know there is no quick fix.

The OP may be thinking she bared her soul too much. Also, even if she has been put on a med by her primary care dr. (which may well be lexapro, usually prescribed first line), it may take weeks to relieve the most excruciating symptoms.

From there, I hope she consults a psychiatrist who may be referred by her primary care doc by request. A custom tailoring of meds should be considered.

Trusted Contributor

@gellen I hope you are feeling better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@gellen Constipation can be a side effect of some antidepressants. If you are planning on starting antidepressants, it's important to share with your doctor you have an issue with constipation so he can prescribe an antidepressant that won't make things worse. 

This is my thinking as well.  It is not likely that her Depression alone is causing it.  Thus, the reason I asked what she normally does if she has a constipation problem.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gellen wrote:
I have posted about the anxiety and stress that I am going through. My current problem is severe constipation. Laxatives don’t seem to be working. I will be contacting my doctor later this am but needed to reach out to someone at this early hour. I am just lonely and scared. Thanks so much for listening

You have never had constipation before @gellen ?  What does loneliness have to do with that?  I'm confused.  I'd like to help but are you talking about a medical problem that you have that is well established or is this new?  I don't understand what the loneliness has to do with the constipation. 

If you are taking laxatives that don't work, what did you do before?

@gertrudecloset Sometimes stress, loneliness and other mental issues can mess with one's physical well being.

@haddon9 I know.  However, I don't believe it is the "depression itself" is causing constipation.  The constipation is likely a result of another underlying issue.  Perhaps any medications prescribed for the depression.  Yes, some mental health diagnoses have physiological affects on us!!!

I wouldn't rule out side affects of any other meds or combinations thereof, either.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I have discovered flaxseed ground organic. It's natural, gentle, good for your health with omega 3's and delicious. You can integrate in cooking, baking and is wonderful just alone out of the bag. 

Contributor
Constipation can be very frustrating, not good for you, makes you feel horrible… very bloated and lethargic. It can be caused by diet, medication side effects, lack of activity etc. I can tell from working in the medical profession for many many years and working closely with gastroenterologists, most not all will tell you to take laxatives, colace, perocolace, metamucil, ex lax, prunes etc. All work fine for a short term solution which may be what you need currently. But ultimately, you need to find out the why to treat this long term. Most doctors unless they are into functional medicine really don’t know a whole lot about nutrition. It’s just not in their curriculum. Are you drinking enough fluid, is there enough fiber in your diet, exercise or movement in your day. Side effects of medication. Side effects of virtually all medication are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and constipation! Do you eat mainly processed food and meat? Pre and probiotics can be helpful. Recent antibiotics or antidepressants or narcotics? Short term solution… laxatives, stool softeners, magnesium, fiber, prunes probiotics. Start slow… you can also add more. Then try to figure out why this is happening for long term relief. Diet, medication, slow peristalsis etc. People mentioned flax and chia … both excellent but remember the need to increase your water intake with those. As far as your stress consider possibly seeing someone. There are also some incredible apps to help out. Meditation is amazing for stress as is tapping. Some apps are 10%, balance, head space, aura, calm and many more. Some have some aspect of free content.
Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever used a "squatty potty"? Just wondering if it actually works for constipation.

Respected Contributor

i wonder about the squatty potty! 

sorry for being graphic but i'm having a lot of problems and i drink a ton of water and as much fiber as i can have without just choking on it. i think it's a paralytic ileus. next time i see my PCP i'm going to very direct and tell him i need to see a gastro.

have doubled my laxatives. nothing helps. dulcolax is very harsh and i get sharp lower ab pain so stopped using it. mentioned my issues to Dr. months ago (bloating, gas, slow bowels) and had an abdominal US.   the US showed nothing unusual.  idk if a paralytic ileus can be seen on US.    was on a certain medication that can affect the condition and have stopped taking it.  idk maybe its just a bad case of IBS-C.   i had a colonoscopy 9 yrs ago.  next time will be 2024.  but idk if my problem will show on a Cscope. it seems higher up on the GI tract.

Respected Contributor

My go to for constipation is ginger tea.  I drink a couple of cups of the tea and before the day is over the problem is solved.

Contributor

I'm actually listening to a podcast by a gi doc who wrote FIBER FUELED. He suggests

fiber...added slowly, exercise and water. Theother thing he stated is 2 kiwis will help immensely. They will not cause diarrhea but will help smooth things out so to say!