Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Just think of what one polyp removed ten years ago could have become if not removed. I know the process can be difficult for some people, but the inconvenience is well worth the peace of mind.

That's why the medical gold standard is a 5-year (not 10-year) interval for anyone who has had even a single polyp.

@vsm    I do not know if the insurance will cover it more often unless the doctor says 5 years.  I agree that every 5 years would be better. The insurance companies would probably be against that though.  Just like the insurance companies would rather  stop paying for them after a certain age....there's no upper age limit for colon cancer screening. But most medical organizations in the United States agree that the benefits of screening decline after age 75 for most people and there's little evidence to support continuing screening after age 85.  I guess the medical system has decided we have one foot in the grave already.....

Respected Contributor

I hope you'll ask your doctor, @SeaMaiden , if you can do it in 5 years, given your polyp history (which is the same as mine -- my next two were clean, but my doctor still has me on the 5-year interval). If he says no, you can at least ask him why. He just might say yes, because you requested it. Even if your insurance company ends up refusing to cover the procedure, it's worh a try. I wish you the best!

Honored Contributor

DH and I had our last ones done in 2022.  No problems so we're on the 10 yr. plan now. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Wow .... very surprising list!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

I know a couple of people on the "three year plan".

I've been on the five year plan since my first colonoscopy many years ago. The GI physician found out my dad had colon cancer at a young age, many surgeries and chemo, and passed away from it anyway in his early 60's. It was a horrible illness, fight for life over many years, and an awful death. 

ETA: Had the latest test about two years ago; the next one is scheduled when I will be 77. Confident they will schedule another for five years in the future when I'm 83 and I'm sure there will be many others that age there, too. I've never been anywhere near the oldest entering their clinic yet - nor have I heard of a cut-off age for those life-saving tests!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady I want all my parts to work and be healthy for as long as I need them. I'm just going to carry on with preventive care regardless of statistics and age expectancy. If I ever have a doc that implies that "at my age" I don't need preventive care, I'll find one that cares about me and not what an insurance company says. 

Honored Contributor

I had 2 with benign polyps, once cancer that is usually preventable. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to add my friend, Claire to that list. She never had a colonoscopy even though she was 73 years old. By the time she was diagnosed, it was too late. She only lived a few months. That was about 1 1/2 years ago and I really miss her as do her children and grandchildren.

She was a very healthy person. Rarely sick, not even a cold.

I encourage everyone to get a colonoscopy. I know it's no fun but it could save your life!

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

Make sure you have the best health care providers & insurance NOW!!!

Don't wait until you're in that position and need to change physicians and/or insurance providers. By then, it will be too late. (Lesson #1 we learned as children following my dad's ordeal. Followed by many other life lessons that have been much easier to absorb. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the recommended colonoscopies, even though it wreaks havoc on my system.  I do not mind drinking the prep, and following all of the guidelines.  I RUN at least 30 times, and have been hospitalized with extreme dehydration and afib as a result.  My husband RUNS about 8 times. I hope to use Cologuard next time.