Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Prep Question

The pharmacist speaks with everyone.  I'd listen to them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01  I had Suprep for my colonoscopy 1 month ago and had no problem.  It was a series of 24 tablets taken 12 each 2 times so many hours apart.  Sorry I don't remember exact duration.  I insisted on tablets because for my first colonoscopy, I just couldn't tolerate the gallon jug of crud.  It was so bad, I had to cancel the test and get another prep. Sounds like your prep is liquid.  Mine was just tablets.  Doc was reluctant because of the cost, $155 and my insurance wouldn't pay.  Told him I'd pay myself.  Fortunately, his assistant gave me a sample box at no charge.  Test results were great.  Good luck to you. 

ETA thanks to @pupwhipped  my prep was SUTAB, not Suprep.  Sorry for my error. 

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@aubnwa01 

All 15 of my Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies I was on only liquids 2 days before each one. All of mine were preceded by a gallon of Go or Nulytely. 20 at last count. Only prep my group of Gastro Docs will except.

hckynut 

OMG.....15!!!

i shouldn't tell you this....i'm 71.....and have never had a colonoscopy.....

@nana59  Im also 71 & this will be my 5th one.  I started getting them at the recommended age of 50 & have had one every 5 years ever since.  I know you probably already know it, but you really should get one scheduled.

Contributor

I was given Suprep for my last colonoscopy.  It is one of the newer formulations. Much less liquid to consume than the earlier ones. Easy peasy. I was able to eat lightly the morning and afternoon the day before - yogurt, ice cream, eggs, chicken.  Began the prep at 6 pm.  Taste not that bad. Hint - suck on a menthol  cough drop before you begin drinking. It numbs the taste buds. Exam was done early the next morning.  Prep was perfect.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@aubnwa01  I had Suprep for my colonoscopy 1 month ago and had no problem.  It was a series of 24 tablets taken 12 each 2 times so many hours apart.  Sorry I don't remember exact duration.  I insisted on tablets because for my first colonoscopy, I just couldn't tolerate the gallon jug of crud.  It was so bad, I had to cancel the test and get another prep. Sounds like your prep is liquid.  Mine was just tablets.  Doc was reluctant because of the cost, $155 and my insurance wouldn't pay.  Told him I'd pay myself.  Fortunately, his assistant gave me a sample box at no charge.  Test results were great.  Good luck to you. 

I also had pills for my colonoscopy in May, @coffee drinker, but it was called SUTAB...this is a fairly new drug approved for colon prep. I always choose pills if it's an option but sometimes it's not. They always change your choices from test to test. Woman Frustrated My doctor's office has a coupon they give the pharmacy and the cost for me was $40.00. My husband just got the pills for his upcoming test and it was the same...$40.00. Just a little FYI for those who might really want to use pills.

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped  The liquid Suprep stuff cost me $47 with insurance.  The pharmacist said it would've been $140 w/o inusurance.

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped   Edited my original post.  Thanks for the correction.  

Contributor

Lots of good advice here!

I couldn't keep any of the prep stuff down either-and that was with several anti-nausea pills. What finally worked for me the last time: eating lightly several days prior to the prep, miralax powder, and a TWO DAY prep. I was really dreading the two days instead of one. However, not forcing this liquid into my system in a short period of time really helped. I mixed the powder with grape-flavored water, which actually tasted, well, not "good," but at least it was non-offensive, in my opinion.

I wish you the best of luck!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 

71 and not had a Colonoscopy?  Were it me, I would be more concerned about possible Colon Cancer than contracting the Virus! 

It's time my friend. I have seen 2 close friends die, over a couple years, from Colon Cancer. Most days were not a blessing for them, as they are for me. Just the opposite, and their loved ones suffered along with them.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Furgirl wrote:

"I've lost track of how many times I've done this"

@Furgirl 

So many you've lost track? Dental Cleanings I can buy, but not knowing the number of times you had a Colonoscopy! 

My having so many is the reason I know exactly how many times I have had a Colonoscopy. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)