Respected Contributor

I'm due to have my every 5 year colonoscopy done on 10/26.  This will be my 4th colonoscopy done by this particular gastro-doc & I like him a lot.  This time, it was a bit different, in that I didn't have an appt with him ahead of the test & I spoke with a NP in the office on the phone who asked questions & sent me some info & called the Rx for the prep over to the pharmacy at Costco.  She said that this was something to do with Medicare & truthfully, I guess what's the point, he doesn't really do anything at the appt.

For the prior tests, he's had me use as the prep Go-Lytely (which I hated) & the past 2 times, Miralax mixed in GatorAde, which I tolerated very well & could get the whole thing down without it wanting to come right back up.  This time, he's having me use something called Suprep.  In the paperwork the NR sent me, it says something about it not tasting good, but that's OK.  When I picked it up at the pharmacy, the Costco pharmacist said it doesn't taste great but, but is generally well tolerated & does a good job of cleaning things out.  The pharmacist said he doesn't understand why they seem to change to a different prep from one year to the next.

Does anyone have experience with this Suprep stuff that they can share or tips & tricks to make it easier?  My main concern is that it does a good job, so the test goes well & I don't have to do it over again!

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Prep Question

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 

All 15 of my Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies I was on only liquids 2 days before each one. All of mine were preceded by a gallon of Go or Nulytely. 20 at last count. Only prep my group of Gastro Docs will except.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01, did you have to get a Covid test?  I've heard that it's required now.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01  For my first one the nurse told me to get some hard candy, nothing red, orange or purple, and suck on one immediately after drinking a dose of the prep.

I bought a small bag of butterscotch candy and it worked fine. Also, she told me to drink it through a straw and let it go down the back of my. I barely taste it when I do it this way.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@aubnwa01 

All 15 of my Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies I was on only liquids 2 days before each one. All of mine were preceded by a gallon of Go or Nulytely. 20 at last count. Only prep my group of Gastro Docs will except.

hckynut 

OMG.....15!!!

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@aubnwa01, did you have to get a Covid test?  I've heard that it's required now.

@Mmsfoxxie  They didn't mention anything about getting one.  I've been vaccinated, so that may factor in?  Most places around here (I'm in Tucson) do the forehaed thermometer thing to check for a fever before you're allowed in.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 

Suprep will do the job, I assure you!   My last 2 preps were done with Suprep, and my surgeon said he had a good view of everything as far as he needed to go.   

My advice is to eat light the weekend before your prep; go for chicken and turkey rather than red meat.  Easing up on the heavy foods before the prep makes the process much easier.  

Refrigerate the Suprep as soon as you get it, put it in the freezer several hours before you start the prep.   

I mix the laxative with super cold white grape juice and drink thru a straw as fast as I can.   I chase this with strong sweet tea or Coke.   

With my last prep, within 2 hours after the second dose of laxative, I went to bed and slept all night.  I felt like my colon was empty, which the doctor verified after, but every prep I've used has been successful.  

Best wishes and good results to you on the 26th!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@aubnwa01 

hckynut 

OMG.....15!!!

@nana59 

Yep! The Colonoscopy took about half hour. The Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopies took about 4 hours. Same prep!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@aubnwa01  For my first one the nurse told me to get some hard candy, nothing red, orange or purple, and suck on one immediately after drinking a dose of the prep.

I bought a small bag of butterscotch candy and it worked fine. Also, she told me to drink it through a straw and let it go down the back of my. I barely taste it when I do it this way.

@Love my grandkids  This will be my 5th colonoscopy overall & the 4th one with this gastro-doc, so I've pretty much got the pre-test diet down: low residue diet for 3-4 days & clear liquids the day prior, etc.  My main question is I've never used this prep before, so don't quite know what to expect.  It seems a little different than what I've used before, but it's what my doc wants me to use this time, so I'll do as dierected. 

I hope it's as easy on me as the Miralax/GatorAde was as the GoLytely stuff just didn't want to stay down when I drank it.  That stuff is like drinking heavy seawater!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @aubnwa01.  I can deal with that, lol.  I'm vaccinated but I've heard that a Covid test is automatic.  I guess I should call the doctor and find out.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)