Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Prep Question

[ Edited ]

I have had 2, I only take pills, lots of pills but they sure do the trick!!! My gastro doc is very laid back, if you do your research and prefer one prep over the other he will sign off on it. His main concern is getting patients tested, not worrying over one prep from the other. Pills were my choice, and both times he said my prep was very complete. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@aubnwa01 

Suprep will do the job, I assure you!   My last 2 preps were done with Suprep, and my surgeon said he had a good view of everything as far as he needed to go.   

My advice is to eat light the weekend before your prep; go for chicken and turkey rather than red meat.  Easing up on the heavy foods before the prep makes the process much easier.  

Refrigerate the Suprep as soon as you get it, put it in the freezer several hours before you start the prep.   

I mix the laxative with super cold white grape juice and drink thru a straw as fast as I can.   I chase this with strong sweet tea or Coke.   

With my last prep, within 2 hours after the second dose of laxative, I went to bed and slept all night.  I felt like my colon was empty, which the doctor verified after, but every prep I've used has been successful.  

Best wishes and good results to you on the 26th!

@RedTop  Thanks!  I already bought a big bottle of white grape juice & some lemon-lime GatorAde & some clear broth, so I should be good on the clear liquids.  Thanks for the chilling tip, I had planned on doing that, but good to know about freezing it, too.

Trusted Contributor

I just had one, bring laptop and magazines in bathroom, with plenty of toilet paper....i was in there hours and then had to take another prep at 3am to be done by 6am.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@aubnwa01 

All 15 of my Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies I was on only liquids 2 days before each one. All of mine were preceded by a gallon of Go or Nulytely. 20 at last count. Only prep my group of Gastro Docs will except.

hckynut 

OMG.....15!!!

i shouldn't tell you this....i'm 71.....and have never had a colonoscopy.....

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01   I know I used Suprep for my last colonoscopy and it worked so well the gastro actually thanked me afterwards for coming in so clean.  I wish I remembered more, but I don't.  Those details from someone else I hope

Regular Contributor

I've lost track of how many times I've done this. Suprep works great for most people, even though it is totally DISGUSTING. I never had a problem getting cleaned out, until they changed me to Suprep. The Gatorade/Miralax combo worked great which is basically the same as the Go-Lytely but tastes better and easier to swallow. My advice is to drink as much liquid as possible after the Suprep to achieve the desired "fire hydrant"

effect. Sorry, but that's what it feels like to me! 😬

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 OH okay, sorry, wasn't trying to tell you what to do (smile). I"ve had a few of those myself!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had Suprep. Didn't like the taste, but it worked well. I wish I'd made prep day easier by starting a low-fiber diet 2-3 days earlier. Wishing you well!

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have had 2, I only take pills, lots of pills but they sure do the trick!!! My gastro doc is very laid back, if you do your research and prefer one prep over the other he will sign off on it. His main concern is getting patients tested, not worrying over one prep from the other. Pills were my choice, and both times he said my prep was very complete. 

I took the pills for my 1st procedure, and they worked well. My doctor wouldn't let me have them for the next 2 procedures, because of reports that some patients suffered kidney damage from them. I took GoLitely and Suprep for those. They worked just as well, but of course were harder to take.

Respected Contributor

My sister just used it and while  it's not enjoyable ( duh),  but it wasn't horrid and not a huge volume- Should be ok.