Honored Contributor

Circulation &Vein Support (Diosmin) - Question re long term use

For those of you who take this, do you take it every day and how long have you been taking it?

Everything I'm reading says it's only safe for a period of months at various doses.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Re: Circulation &Vein Support (Diosmin) - Question re long term use

I've been taking it daily for many years and have no known problems. Not familiar with long-term use issues. What makes it unsafe? If you have any links, would you mind sharing those with us? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

The first thing I read was the WebMD page and they say "Do not take diosmin for more than three months without medical supervision."

So in finding more sources as to "why" I found the FDA report from 2009 (I think) and all of the studies are just months long, I think one was a year.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I take 2 per day & have been taking it for years with no problems. I don't know why there would be a problem using it long term since Diosmin is a bioflavonoid derived from citrus fruits.

Super Contributor

Have not researched your particular supplement enough to give you a complete or direct answer, but I will say this.....over the years, I have noticed a distinct trend towards labeling certain herbs and supplements, the ones that really work, as either dangerous or dangerous to take long term. Even online, the information provided on these supplements has gradually shifted to make you doubt whether you should take them at all. The same is true for newer books on the subjects. Some will say this is because more studies are being done so now we know more, but I heartily disagree with that assumption.

I have taken and dabbled with herbs and supplements since the early 90's, with no ill effects to my health. Just the opposite, in fact. And, my experience is nothing compared to the Native American, the Chinese, and the Eastern Indian cultures who have used herbs and spices as their medicines for hundreds to thousands of years....all with success according to what we know. That being said, we are living longer, and I don't think any extracted, standardized herb was meant to be taken permanently. Instead, lifestyle changes in diet and exercise levels are the most important thing, while herbal medicine use should probably be mostly supportive and shorter term in their uses (not the case for vitamin supplements so much however).

Try to look for some older herbal handbooks and make a determination on the issue using your own knowledge and common sense. You should research many different sources, not just online, when it comes to taking herbal medicines and supplements. Also, the majority of doctors will have no clue about the topic either.

Herbal medicine is very individualized. Some things can work well in one person, but react negatively in another (this is actually true of traditional medicine as well). No one can really answer your question for YOU not knowing your health history either, not even so-called certified herbal "experts". With all that said, I have encountered many, many people who use and swear by "circulation" herbal products. Two good ones are Andrew Lessman's Circulation & Vein Support and Jarrow's Venous PF. Since diosmin is a flavonoid, it should be pretty innocuous, even long term.

Here is a brief synopsis of what it is and does: http://www.hamiltonvein.com/diosmin-hesperidin-the-in-vein-health-supplements/.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

I take it daily and have been for YEARS.
Super Contributor

On 10/12/2014 VaBelle35 said:

The first thing I read was the WebMD page and they say "Do not take diosmin for more than three months without medical supervision."

So in finding more sources as to "why" I found the FDA report from 2009 (I think) and all of the studies are just months long, I think one was a year.

This makes me feel safe using it....FDA....hogwash!
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone and thanks for the link. So many reviewers on HSN and the herb sites that many here buy from talk about long term use and positive outcomes. And Andrew only talks about the positives of all of his products.

So before jumping in, I always like to hear/read "the rest of the story."

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

I have been taking this twice daily for several years. In the few times that I have stopped using it I noticed after about a week or two I would start getting those cramps in my feet, ankles, and outside of calves after about 1/2 hour after retiring for the night. Always go back to it. I don't know what I am going to do if Andrew no longer supplies this product. change.

(This is my first post after a couple of years. I used to be amartinezfan)

Frequent Contributor

On 10/13/2014 amartinezfan said:

I have been taking this twice daily for several years. In the few times that I have stopped using it I noticed after about a week or two I would start getting those cramps in my feet, ankles, and outside of calves after about 1/2 hour after retiring for the night. Always go back to it. I don't know what I am going to do if Andrew no longer supplies this product. change.

(This is my first post after a couple of years. I used to be amartinezfan)

Ohhhhh! Guess I am STILL amartinezfan, LOL!