Honored Contributor

@arrabella. My creatine level is 1.5 and my family doctor has already referred me to a nephrologist.  I am not restricted on anything right now but they have changed some meds and last blood work was a couple points down. They think meds are causing my numbers to be higher than they should be. Please my only advice is get to the nephrologist as soon as you can, they know what to do now.  Pràyers for you.

Honored Contributor

I had one kidney removed due to cancer in 1991. Since then I have done fine until last spring when my GFR went down to 45 and my creatnine rose to 1.2 - I freaked out. I have many friends who are in the dialysis field and nephrologist friends - went to see one and he discovered I was taking 2 drugs that were not compatible together. Unfortunatly once you lose nephrons they do not come back so my GFR is still at the 45 to 47 range. My friend tells me this is an OK number for having only one kidney. I am considered stage 2 renal failure but since it is not progressing any worse I am content - just try to push fluids a lot. I also must be very careful to not get a UTI as I have been prone to them since I had my nephrectomy. I eat and drink cranberries & cranberry juice like it is my lifeblood.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sending positive prayers & good energy to you, @arrabellaHeart

Respected Contributor

@arrabella I hope you do very well. I'm sure a diagnosis like that is overwhelming. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Trusted Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@arrabella. My creatine level is 1.5 and my family doctor has already referred me to a nephrologist.  I am not restricted on anything right now but they have changed some meds and last blood work was a couple points down. They think meds are causing my numbers to be higher than they should be. Please my only advice is get to the nephrologist as soon as you can, they know what to do now.  Pràyers for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing a nephrologist so we can go over my meds and the suppplements I take.  I haven't been restricted either, however I'm really watching my sodium intake more carefully as I also have high blood pressure. What I have been told is to drink a lot of fluids and not to take any nsaids. When I see the dietician next month, I'll bring a copy of my lab work as well as my medication list.

My prayers are with you too!!

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I had one kidney removed due to cancer in 1991. Since then I have done fine until last spring when my GFR went down to 45 and my creatnine rose to 1.2 - I freaked out. I have many friends who are in the dialysis field and nephrologist friends - went to see one and he discovered I was taking 2 drugs that were not compatible together. Unfortunatly once you lose nephrons they do not come back so my GFR is still at the 45 to 47 range. My friend tells me this is an OK number for having only one kidney. I am considered stage 2 renal failure but since it is not progressing any worse I am content - just try to push fluids a lot. I also must be very careful to not get a UTI as I have been prone to them since I had my nephrectomy. I eat and drink cranberries & cranberry juice like it is my lifeblood.

Sorry to hear that you had to have a kidney removed.   I don't blame you for freaking out over the change in your lab work!  You are fortunate to have so many friends who are so knowledgable in the field.  This thing kind of blindsighted me.  Kidney Disease never really crossed my mind! Best I can do at this point is to try to keep it from advancing as I an deal with it at this stage. I do take a cranberry supplement, as I have had UTI's in the past.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all for your prayers and good wishes!! 

Honored Contributor

There are so many causes for kidney failure and unless you know what is causeing it you can't really take any steps to stop the decline. It could be BP, arterial stenosis, diabetes, meds,cysts - good heavens , many things. I was lucky it was just a med change required, but my PCP was clueless about it. The nephrologist put all my meds into a computer program and it immediately told him which ones were not compatible.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

There are so many causes for kidney failure and unless you know what is causeing it you can't really take any steps to stop the decline. It could be BP, arterial stenosis, diabetes, meds,cysts - good heavens , many things. I was lucky it was just a med change required, but my PCP was clueless about it. The nephrologist put all my meds into a computer program and it immediately told him which ones were not compatible.

Sounds like you have a really great nephrologist!!  The only thing I know at this point is it's not diabetes. I think most PCP's are clueless when it comes to this disease.

Respected Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

I have just been diagonised with Stage 3 Chronic Kidney disease and am finding the diet pretty confusing as food that has always been good for you, now is bad for the kidneys. I'll be seeing a dietician in the middle of July but even after searching the internet, and buying a couple of books, the diet seems pretty complicated.  I understand the sodium, protien, potassium, but the phosphorus is something I've never had to deal with.  The balance between the potassium and phosphorus is the most confusing as some foods are low in potassiun and high in phosphorus, and vice versa. Will also have my lab work done repeated in 2 months. I haven't been refered to a nephrologist and think my internest is waiting to see what my next lab results will be. Right now my fluids are not resticted. Any info would be appreciated or maybe a support groupwould be helpful.

TIA

I was told by my Family Practice doctor I need to see a Nephrologist for stage 3 kidney disease.  I can't see him until June.   I need to lose weight and am doing research to decide what might I eat to not make kidneys worse.  It seems everything is bad for them. I was wondering how you have fared with it all if you don't mind my asking.