Respected Contributor

Re: Chronic Constipation but colonoscopy normal?

@quadmimi  me too! I've done all the medical stuff, I was just told I have a slow digestive track.  People will eat stuff and say "oh boy this will go right thru me".... NOT ME, I can eat 10 prunes and 3 pears and I still wouldn't go!! I've tried fibers (made things worse) stool softners didn't do much of anything, every supplement at the health food store, just seems like my colon is stubborn but this does seem to work and no major urge either, just natural, like my colon is working on it's own which I never thought would happen, maybe the magnesium at night is also working better with the Fruit-eze? Maybe.... not sure, since I am still taking that.  I hope it works for you but just give it time to get working  Smiley Happy  ((hugs))

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@quadmimi  me too! I've done all the medical stuff, I was just told I have a slow digestive track.  People will eat stuff and say "oh boy this will go right thru me".... NOT ME, I can eat 10 prunes and 3 pears and I still wouldn't go!! I've tried fibers (made things worse) stool softners didn't do much of anything, every supplement at the health food store, just seems like my colon is stubborn but this does seem to work and no major urge either, just natural, like my colon is working on it's own which I never thought would happen, maybe the magnesium at night is also working better with the Fruit-eze? Maybe.... not sure, since I am still taking that.  I hope it works for you but just give it time to get working  Smiley Happy  ((hugs))

Well it sounds like we have very similar issues!  I am going to order some today, it surely can't hurt & if it helps then " oh boy", that would be great!.. Thanks again, so glad you shared, & that you have improved also!..Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I drink lots of water and eat lots of whole grains and fruits but still had a constipation problem.  In trying to rectify the problem, I ate excessive amounts of fiber and actually made it worse.

The best thing I have found for constipation is to eat an avocado every day.  I just cut one in half and remove the pit.  I sprinkle on some salt and course pepper and some True Lime.  I love them.  They are so good for you and no more problems.

Super Contributor

Water

Ground flax seed in cereal, soup or smoothie

Exercise

My 94 yrs. old father who takes two meds that are constipating has a terrible time.  I give him 5 servings of fruit/veg a day, two stool softeners (at Dr. direction), prune juice, ground flax seed in his oatmeal and he still has problems.  Part of his problem is he uses a walker and won't exercise and I struggle to get him to drink water/liquids.

I saw a gastroenterologist myself a couple days ago and I was telling her about him and see said there are prescription meds for severe constipation, which I plan to ask his Dr. about next visit, but I personally wouldn't try them unless I had tried all the natural methods first.

Super Contributor

Instead of Squatty Potty, what works for me is to sit very upright, then grasp onto my knees,  then lean back toward the tank,  keeping my back straight. I go much easier and keep feet on floor that way.  Works every time.  A lot of people that can't go are hunching forward with their guts in a knot. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not complaining...wait, yes I am.  I have the opposite problem and have for years.  I have a normal b.m. in the morning.  Anything I eat after that...all bets are off.  In fact, today, DH and I went out to eat.  I cut my portion, tried my best to eat slow and before we paid the check I was in the bathroom.  Three times after that and I will spare the details but it's not a normal b.m.

DH is starting to have the same issue and we have had our colonoscopies.  I asked my primary care doctor and he told me I must have an infantile bowel.

I have taken to keeping a towel in the back seat of our cars.

I guess bowel problems are more common than we think.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's already been a lot of good comments so I'll try and keep this brief.  Hope it, in some way, helps.

Water:  how much?   Keep an eye on your urine.  Somewhere around a very pale yellow can help indicate if you're drinking enough.  Most people are dehydrated as it is, and the body will pull water from your own stool (large intestine) adding to constipation issues.

Avoid triggers:  As mentioned, things like cheese and dairy are constipating.  That includes yogurt, etc.  Also, products like meat and chicken stagnate in the colon.  There is a lot of information out there on the internet on this matter so I won't go into detail.

Add in WHOLE plant matter (and lots of it).  All plants have fiber.  Ancestrally, we ate around 100g of fiber per day.  Not the 25 grams recommended!   Use something like cronometer (dot) com --- it's free --- and you can track your fiber intake in all your foods (not just prunes, etc.).

Exercise (walking, etc.) -- any form is helpful.

Routine:  a routine can be helpful. For instance, many people have warm water with lemon in the morning to "start" their day.  From a routine standpoint, it's helpful.  And, it acts to stimulate things!

Again, hope this helps!

Valued Contributor

This was posted in a group where I belong. I did not make it,so can't vouch for it. Many in the group who did use it said it works well, and tastes good.

--------------

Fruit paste -- simple and inexpensive remedy for ongoing constipation

Take one or two tablespoons a day, or as needed. Can be eaten plain; as jam on toast, bread, or crackers; or mixed into juice, applesauce, or yogurt. (This recipe can be quadrupled using 14-18 ounces of each fruit, but that makes a lot of fruit paste!)

One ounce senna tea or senna leaves
 One cup water

Bring water to a boil. Add tea, remove from heat, and allow to steep for at least five minutes to make very strong, black tea. Remove leaves or tea bags.

4 ounces dried prunes
 4 ounces figs
 4 ounces raisins

Remove any stems or pits. Add the fruit to the tea. Bring to a boil; then simmer several minutes until fruits are soft.

Mix in:
 1/4 cup brown sugar
 1/4 cup lemon juice

Let it cool. Make into a smooth paste using blender or food processor. This keeps well in small containers in fridge or freezer. (Fruit paste will not freeze solid.)

Respected Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

This was posted in a group where I belong. I did not make it,so can't vouch for it. Many in the group who did use it said it works well, and tastes good.

--------------

Fruit paste -- simple and inexpensive remedy for ongoing constipation

Take one or two tablespoons a day, or as needed. Can be eaten plain; as jam on toast, bread, or crackers; or mixed into juice, applesauce, or yogurt. (This recipe can be quadrupled using 14-18 ounces of each fruit, but that makes a lot of fruit paste!)

One ounce senna tea or senna leaves
 One cup water

Bring water to a boil. Add tea, remove from heat, and allow to steep for at least five minutes to make very strong, black tea. Remove leaves or tea bags.

4 ounces dried prunes
 4 ounces figs
 4 ounces raisins

Remove any stems or pits. Add the fruit to the tea. Bring to a boil; then simmer several minutes until fruits are soft.

Mix in:
 1/4 cup brown sugar
 1/4 cup lemon juice

Let it cool. Make into a smooth paste using blender or food processor. This keeps well in small containers in fridge or freezer. (Fruit paste will not freeze solid.)

This is similar to the Fruit-Eze that I purchase, it WORKS very well but, it takes about 4-5 days to kick in but, if you take a tablespoon every morning and night, it WILL regulate you, hands down the best thing I have ever done.  I did try and make it on my own but it was a bugger on my food processor and I buy 3-4 containers at a time, it saves on each container and free shipping, great company too.  Worth a try Smiley Happy

I saw that you mentioned that you use fruit-eze, I do as well and have for years and it's a miracle. I was wondering if you still order it. I went to order it yesterday and it said currently out of stock. I never saw that before having ordered it for years. I'm very nervous about this and was wondering if you still order it as well and if anyone knows when it will be back in stock. Thank you. I look forward to your response.