Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA The only thing that hindered me from taking the Pfizer vaccine was that I was currently taking steroids.  My medical dr said to wait 3 weeks and then get your vaccines.  I have since had both shots with no issues.  

Respected Contributor

I would think a good part of the senior citizens, who are fully vaccinated, suffer from arthritis.

A good part of the general population suffers from seasonal allergies.

I do not see a correlation between sciatica and the vaccine.

I'm a triple hitter for all 3 and have been fully vaccinated.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA Did you speak with your doctor and he/she advised you not to take the vaccine? I know many people who have these conditions and took the vaccine. 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 

I filled out the questionnaire - and they told me they cannot book my appointment at this time based on my answers.  

The reason I waited until my hospital was giving the shots is that I trust their decisions. 

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

The questionnaire was rather detailed .... vaxx shots through my medical/hospital network.

They have my medical/hospital records going back for years.  

Try a local pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, etc).  Good luck with the sciatica -- yes, it's quite debilitating.

Esteemed Contributor

why would having arthritis prevent you from getting a shot....i have arthritis....and didn't have a problem getting my shots.....in fact....don't think it's an issue....

Honored Contributor

@vsm 

Thanks for suggestion but after my horrific experience getting a flu shot at Walgreen's in 2019 - I wouldn't think of going anywhere but the hospital or doctor's office for something like these vaccines.

There's a valid reason for the questionnaire.

-------------------

@vsm wrote:

Try a local pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, etc).  Good luck with the sciatica -- yes, it's quite debilitating.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why they won't let you book an appointment. I have arthritis, my husband had sciatica and we've both had vaccines. They only questioned if I had recently gotten another injection. If so, I would have had to wait three weeks. Otherwise, there was no problem. Maybe it was your reaction to the flu shot that gave them pause? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I agree about checking sources such as Walgreen's, etc, AS LONG AS you feel safe about getting vaccinated.

I got mine at Walgreen's and there were 11 questions both times.   Because I have asthma and an autoimmune condition, as well as arthritis, there were questions that could have gotten a 'yes' answer but, since I knew I was ok to get it, I just answered 'no'.    As far as any questions that were more integral, the answers were no anyway so I didn't do anything to mislead.   My temperature came in at 96.9, so there was no concern.

I don't have a doctor, and haven't had one for 17-18 years, so there is no current record of any of my conditions anyway.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't understand why they won't let you book an appointment. I have arthritis, my husband had sciatica and we've both had vaccines. They only questioned if I had recently gotten another injection. If so, I would have had to wait three weeks. Otherwise, there was no problem. Maybe it was your reaction to the flu shot that gave them pause? 

This makes more sense to me. If you indicated a reaction to the flu vaccine in your answers, that might have flagged it for you. I'm sorry you didn't qualify, @ALRATIBA. I hope you can work this out with your doctor somehow. I'm glad for you that you felt safe going through your hospital.

I know people with lots of health issues, including the ones you've said here, and none of them prevented the people from qualifying for the vaccine.

When I went to get my shot today they asked, "Do you have any allergies we should know about?" I have dust allergies and sometimes pollen allergies. If I didn't realize they meant serious allergic reactions, I might have said yes to that without thinking.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr