Frequent Contributor

Calcium magnesium supplement

I need help finding a calcium magnesium supplement - I need the magnesium for constipation but a lot of them upset my stomach. I took magnesium fizz last night and was up all night with stomach discomfort. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Honored Contributor

Re: Calcium magnesium supplement

Have you researched this problem?

Respected Contributor

I take the Andrew Lessman soft gel capsules. I can't take rock hard tablets and his have never upset my stomach. I also like that he has combined the calcium and magnesium so I don't have to take two separate pills. You need the magnesium to help with the calcium absorption. He also has some vitamin d3 in his. I know they are costly but I would give up all of his other vitamins to keep taking this one.

Super Contributor

I take calcium and magnesium, among other things. I have found the calcium citrate and magnesium citrate are both easier to digest than calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

I take separate Cacium pills and Magnesium pills because the combo pills are not often citrates. Also, I have found I have to get the right balance of Calcium and Magnesium so it doesn't upset my stomach. You can't do that with a combo pill.

I like buying my supplements online and am happy with puritans. com and vitaminshoppe.com.

Honored Contributor

I take Puritans Pride Bone Care, but I also take a separate 250 mg magnesium oxide pill.

Respected Contributor

Here's another thing to consider. I like taking my calcium and magnesium separately so I can control the doses. I was constipated for years until I cut back on my calcium (because of info I received that too much calcium supplementation can clog your arteries). Since I also eat a lot of calcium rich foods, I cut my supplementation in half, and the next day my constipation was gone for good. After all those years, I never realized that the calcium causes constipation, and the magnesium is a laxative.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I take Andrew Lessmans Calcium- Magnesium Intensive Care, it's gentle, ultra-soluable Calcium plus magnesium, vit D3 and Boron. It's in a powdered form in a gelatin capsule and that's it, no additives.

Honored Contributor

I take about 400 mg of magnesium daily.

Occasional Contributor

I take Trader Joes cal,mag,zinc and find it works for me. My doctor told me the zinc was imp9rtant for the immune system, and healing.

Susan

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for all the advice, I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer.