Honored Contributor

Caffeine and Iron Absorption

I take an iron supplements and I have heard from other that it is not effect to take with my morning coffee.

I can not find concrete evidence to support this theory

Thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Caffeine and Iron Absorption

I've always been told to take iron with something that has vitamin C in it, so that the iron absorbs better. 

What dose of iron is usually prescribed for the treatment of iron deficiency anemia?

Your doctor will tell you how much iron you need to take every day. For the treatment of iron deficiency anemia in adults, 100 to 200 mg of elemental iron per day has been recommended. The best way to take the supplement so that you absorb the greatest amount of iron is to take it in two or more doses during the day. However, extended-release iron products may be taken once a day.

Please note the following:

• Although the supplements work best on an empty stomach, you may want to take them with food so that they don't upset your stomach.
  • You shouldn't take iron supplements with milk, caffeine, antacids, or calcium supplements. These can decrease the amount of iron that is absorbed.
  • Try to take your iron supplement with vitamin C (for example, a glass of orange juice) to increase absorption.

Info is from this website: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/14568-oral-iron-supplement...

Honored Contributor

I had my yearly physical last week and my iron levels are little below average, my doc wants me to take an iron supplement.  She didn't say anything about coffee but she did say  no milk, calcium, calcium supplements or antacids with 2 hours of taking the iron.  Also the iron should be taken with a small amount of food.

Respected Contributor

I've been taking iron for a long time, started with 4 a day, down to 2 now...I take it with water before I go to bed, that's what works best for me.