Honored Contributor

Re: CDC: Ebola Worst-Case Scenario Has More Than 500,000 Cases

On 10/1/2014 adelle38 said:
On 10/1/2014 mstraditional said:

perhaps the CDC better work a little harder on a protocol and communicate it to all hospitals because what happened in Dallas should never have happened. now kids have been exposed. that is no laughing matter.

If I were a health care worker I would have made it my business to know about this. There were countless notices by the CDC.

And they *are* being taken note of. The doctors I work closely with do not "treat" patients in person for the most part, but they do oversee laboratory tests of every type. I have noted several of them printing out CDC Ebola information to have as it relates to their jobs and sphere of influence.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 moonchilde said:
On 10/1/2014 adelle38 said:
On 10/1/2014 mstraditional said:

perhaps the CDC better work a little harder on a protocol and communicate it to all hospitals because what happened in Dallas should never have happened. now kids have been exposed. that is no laughing matter.

If I were a health care worker I would have made it my business to know about this. There were countless notices by the CDC.

And they *are* being taken note of. The doctors I work closely with do not "treat" patients in person for the most part, but they do oversee laboratory tests of every type. I have noted several of them printing out CDC Ebola information to have as it relates to their jobs and sphere of influence.

from what i read the information about Liberia didn't get to the "people making decisions." in my business when there is a matter of urgency from the regulators we don't get a notice: we get a notice to attend a meeting - mandatory - and have to take an exam to be sure the info was absorbed. but it does puzzle me how the attending medical type would have missed the African accent - which might have led to more questions when diagnosing.

Honored Contributor

I just heard on my local news station that the man who has Ebola flew into Dulles Airport, Northern Va.

That's pretty close to home. I was talking to my friend tonight. I saw the original news conference (not the filtered one that was on the regular channels), the one's that were on cable.

This person went to the emergency room and was sent home then came back in an ambulance. Then the Dr telling people not to worry said, (paraphrasing) "People have been transported in that ambulance after he was. However, we quarantined the ambulance".

OK, so we assume they tracked down all of the people who rode in the ambulance AFTER he did and all of the people who came into contact with THESE people who rode in the ambulance.

The Dr who was affected from delivering the baby (and came here for treatment) told his family that she had no symptoms when he delivered the baby or he would have worn preventative clothes.

There are things we ummmmm don't know (or aren't being told) about this.

Everything I've read and seen on TV says that this will evolve as it goes (as all virus' do).

I'm just saying that our Country needs to wake up. In Great Britain they are restricting some of their flights. Why in the world can't we do that?

I just heard again on hour local news that authorities are 'scrambling' to identify everyone at Dulles he came into contact with while here.

Have any of you ever been to Dulles? It is huge.

Honored Contributor

When it's incubating, it's not transferable. When he was flying, he was not transferring the virus. Only after he was in Dallas & showing signs...then it was transferable.

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/1/2014 goldenretriever said:

It's insane! There should be ZERO planes allowed to come here from that area. The disease is here, & I don't believe what the CDC is saying for one second. They tell us NOT to be worried. You've got to be kidding.

In cold climates (ours), its aerosol transmission profile will be like that of the Avian Flu, a disease that spreads by droplets caused by coughing, sneezing or talking. Scientists say that in the tropics the Ebola virus gets desiccated by the heat, damaged by the humidity and sterilized by the sun. It WILL spread here.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Maybe we should have no planes coming from anywhere? Would that work for you?

People don't just come directly from those countries...they could have been in other places too.

There is no way we can "shut down" the USA and keep people out. There is way too much commerce - we are all intertwined now.

I trust the MDs and other experts...NOT you.

No, don't confine a disease like Infection Control 101. We NEVER had a case of this disease till now - we should have it, right?

No travel from affected countries makes PERFECT sense. We CAN and SHOULD keep certain people out. If one wants to LEAVE - fine.

This man had close contact with someone with Ebola, yet came right back here, not even a citizen. You think he might have come back here to be TREATED here? Bet he did think it. He has had contact with others. Who wants to take that chance?

The country is NOT being told the truth. While there's no point in a panic, the truth is that they DON'T really know everything about it.

We the people, citizens, are deserving of protection by the people given power to PROTECT us. They are NOT.

Since medicine is my specialty, I can state that THIS is a BIG potential problem. Viruses respect NOTHING except keeping themselves going. This has a high mortality rate. Yes, we could treat it better here, but WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO????

I am a really polite person, so I am not going to read or post anymore on this subject. The nonsense I read isn't worth it.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 sidsmom said:

When it's incubating, it's not transferable. When he was flying, he was not transferring the virus. Only after he was in Dallas & showing signs...then it was transferable.

No problem then!

I'm sure you would sign up to sit next to someone exposed to Ebola next time you fly!

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 sidsmom said:

i believe the airiine - United - is not taking any chances and is notifying all he came in contact with so they can be aware and follow up with their own medical advisers if they wish.

Honored Contributor

Boo-gah, boogah! Doomsday preppers, anyone?
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 10/1/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Ebola is treatable in our country, please don't forget that. Actually, most people do not die from the Ebola virus, but rather from the side effects such as diarrhea,vomiting, which leads to acute dehydration and electrolyte imbalance and such.

If you can treat the accompanying symptoms, you can eradicate the disease. The problem in third world countries is that they just don't have the proper medical care or personnel to do this.

Fresh water is vital to do this as well.

We don't have much to worry about. Just be aware of the symptoms and I think anyone in America would seek medical care if they were profusely bleeding from their skin, which is a big symptom.

Banning people is ridiculous.

We aren't discussing the bubonic plague here. lol !

I can't believe most of the remarks here. We live in the safest, most advance medically, healthiest country in the world here.

I suppose most of you panicking still feel the same way about AIDS ? Should we shut down airplanes if someone with AIDS flies on them, and put the ambulances out of order as well ???

I can not believe the ignorance still in this country.

If you are afraid, or not knowledgeable, your first line of defense is to educate yourself !!There are thousands of sources and resources everywhere. Don't remain uninformed and then go around making ludicrous comments.

Honored Contributor

If available, I'm sure many on these boards would be lined up to get Cootie Shots.