Super Contributor

Antibiotics kill your normal gut flora. There is a happy truce until you kill off the good bacteria and clostridium difficile is left unchecked, he starts replicating and no one can challenge him. Ask your Doctor or RN to explain, please, this is a medical question.

Super Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Nightowlz said:

I have never heard of this. This sounds like some scary stuff. I'm a little confused. Are you saying you get C-Diff while in the hospital or from taking antibiotics? I never take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. The doctor told me I had walking pneumonia at one time & I needed to take antibiotics & I asked if it would go away without them & he said yes it would just take longer so I refused them. He could not believe it. He said he has patients in his office every day wanting them for something they did not need them for & I actually need them & refused. So sorry to anyone that has been through this.

Yes, it's very scary stuff Nightowlz. You are already smart not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but if one person can learn this from reading these discussions, it will have been for the good.

You can get C. diff. from being in the hospital. A hospital-acquired infection is also referred to as a nosocomial infection. C. diff. can be transferred by unhygienic practices by hospital personnel (hand-washing in between patients) or an unhygienic hospital environment. The bacteria can live on unclean surfaces for a very long time. All it takes is hand-to-mouth contact.

A C. diff. infection can also occur as a result of taking antibiotics. Antibiotics work by killing the offending bacteria in the gut for any particular infection. However, at the same time, they can kill off good bacteria in the gut, thereby upsetting the balance of good:bad flora in the gut. When this balance is upset, bad bacteria can be allowed to proliferate. C. diff. is a bad bacteria normally present in small amounts in the gut, and normally causes no problem whatsoever because the good bacteria keep it in check, but it can proliferate if the good bacteria are not present to keep it in check. Once C. diff. is allowed to proliferate, they produce toxins that basically eat away at the intestinal wall.

[As an aside, broad-spectrum antibiotics kill off more good bacteria than narrow-spectrum antibiotics, so it's always best to have any bacterial infection cultured and identified so that a person can take the latter and not risk killing off more good bacteria. If a person absolutely has to take an antibiotic, they should ask their doc if it's broad or narrow spectrum and opt for narrow spectrum.]

Ironically, it takes a course of an antibiotic to "cure" a C. difficile infection. The standard protocol includes one of two antibiotics, either Flagyl (metronidazole) or Vancocin (vancomycin). There are other more natural methods which I'm not familiar with. There is also fecal transplant which, literally, places the stool of a healthy person into the gut of an infected person with the goal being to restore normal, healthy flora in the gut.

Finally, the more global problem affecting ALL of us vis-a-vis use of antibiotics is that widespread antibiotic use in the general population can cause bad bacteria to mutate and become resistant to the treatments used to eradicate them. So think about it...if too many people in our country (or world) use Flagyl or Vancocin, eventually, the C. diff. bacteria, for example, will mutate and become resistant to these drugs. These drugs are the first line of defense against C. diff. Once they become ineffective, due to resistant mutant bacteria, we are all in a lot of trouble.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/23/2014 KippyK3 said: They believe that I got it from being on a strong antibiotic for a sinus/ear infection.

Do they know why antibiotics causes this? Last time I took an antibiotic was for a sinus infection years ago. I was told it would not go away without it. It was a powder I had to mix with water & drink 1 time. Is it all antibiotics that can cause this or certain ones? I take Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Friendly Flora probiotics every day.

Normally it happens when you are on antibiotics for a long period of time. I was on IV for over aver two months when I got it.
Super Contributor
On 9/23/2014 KippyK3 said: They believe that I got it from being on a strong antibiotic for a sinus/ear infection.

Do they know why antibiotics causes this? Last time I took an antibiotic was for a sinus infection years ago. I was told it would not go away without it. It was a powder I had to mix with water & drink 1 time. Is it all antibiotics that can cause this or certain ones? I take Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Friendly Flora probiotics every day.

If you had a sinus infection, it was undoubtedly bacterial and, therefore, needed to be treated with an antibiotic, although personally, I do believe there are other more natural treatments that could work.

ANY antibiotic has the potential to cause a C. diff. infection but, as I explained previously, broad-spectrum antibiotics are much more likely than narrow-spectrum antibiotics. Broad spectrums will wipe out more of the good bacteria across the board, while narrow spectrums will focus on the specific offending bacteria and try to eradicate those only.

There is also a "pecking order" of antibiotics (classes of antibiotics) more likely to cause a C. diff. infection. You can google those. I know that Cipro is at the top of the list.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Rottie_mama said:

Antibiotics kill your normal gut flora. There is a happy truce until you kill off the good bacteria and clostridium difficile is left unchecked, he starts replicating and no one can challenge him. Ask your Doctor or RN to explain, please, this is a medical question.

I don't have C-Diff. I have never heard of it. I just read this thread & was curious about it. If the posters have had this I'm sure they can answer some questions. I only go to the doctor once per year for a blood test to get my thyroid medication refilled. I doubt he would want to discuss it if I don't have C-Diff. I know antibiotics kill normal gut flora. I do take probiotics every day so that should help when I do have to take an antibiotic.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 puglet1 said:

I have never heard of this. This sounds like some scary stuff. I'm a little confused. Are you saying you get C-Diff while in the hospital or from taking antibiotics? I never take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. The doctor told me I had walking pneumonia at one time & I needed to take antibiotics & I asked if it would go away without them & he said yes it would just take longer so I refused them. He could not believe it. He said he has patients in his office every day wanting them for something they did not need them for & I actually need them & refused. So sorry to anyone that has been through this.

Yes, it's very scary stuff Nightowlz. You are already smart not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but if one person can learn this from reading these discussions, it will have been for the good.

You can get C. diff. from being in the hospital. A hospital-acquired infection is also referred to as a nosocomial infection. C. diff. can be transferred by unhygienic practices by hospital personnel (hand-washing in between patients) or an unhygienic hospital environment. The bacteria can live on unclean surfaces for a very long time. All it takes is hand-to-mouth contact.

A C. diff. infection can also occur as a result of taking antibiotics. Antibiotics work by killing the offending bacteria in the gut for any particular infection. However, at the same time, they can kill off good bacteria in the gut, thereby upsetting the balance of good:bad flora in the gut. When this balance is upset, bad bacteria can be allowed to proliferate. C. diff. is a bad bacteria normally present in small amounts in the gut, and normally presents no problem whatsoever because the good bacteria keep it in check, but it can proliferate if the good bacteria are not present to keep it in check. Once C. diff. is allowed to proliferate, they produce toxins that basically eat away at the intestinal wall.

[As an aside, broad-spectrum antibiotics kill off more good bacteria than narrow-spectrum antibiotics, so it's always best to have any bacterial infection cultured and identified so that a person can take the latter and not risk killing off more good bacteria. If a person absolutely has to take an antibiotic, they should ask their doc if it's broad or narrow spectrum and opt for narrow spectrum.]

Ironically, it takes a course of an antibiotic to "cure" a C. difficile infection. The standard protocol includes one of two antibiotics, either Flagyl (metronidazole) or Vancocin (vancomycin). There are other more natural methods which I'm not familiar with. There is also fecal transplant which, literally, places the stool of a healthy person into the gut of an infected person with the goal being to restore normal, healthy flora in the gut.

Finally, the more global problem affecting ALL of us vis-a-vis use of antibiotics is that widespread antibiotic use in the general population can cause bad bacteria to mutate and become resistant to the treatments used to eradicate them. So think about it...if too many people in our country (or world) use Flagyl or Vancocin, eventually, the C. diff. bacteria, for example, will mutate and become resistant to these drugs. These drugs are the first line of defense against C. diff. Once they become ineffective, due to resistant bacteria, we are all in a lot of trouble.

Thanks for posting the info. I'm going to copy & paste it so if I have to take an antibiotic again I can ask the doctor about the broad or narrow spectrum which I have never heard of. Hope I never end up in the hospital. If I do I will constantly be asking the nurses, doctors etc to wash their hands before they touch me. My dad's wife died in the hospital after she got MRSA while be treating for BOOP something I don't think she would have died from. Guess I should double up on probiotics if I ever have to go in the hospital or take antibiotics. My sister has to have surgery next month so I'm going to pass on this info to her. I don't know if she has ever heard of this or not. My sister is one of the ones that does not finish her antibiotics when the doctor prescribes them & takes them when she feels like she needs them. She needs to read your post & quit doing that. I have never done that. As far as I can remember any antibiotic I have taken was for like a week or so except once when I had an abscessed tooth & had to take it twice.

Super Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Rottie_mama said:

I don't have C-Diff. I have never heard of it. I just read this thread & was curious about it. If the posters have had this I'm sure they can answer some questions. I only go to the doctor once per year for a blood test to get my thyroid medication refilled. I doubt he would want to discuss it if I don't have C-Diff. I know antibiotics kill normal gut flora. I do take probiotics every day so that should help when I do have to take an antibiotic.

What you do not have is an infection from clostridium difficile. You do have clostridium difficile, however he is kept in check by all the other competing guys in the gut. Anytime this balance is upset, clostridium is no longer kept in check and an infection can occur.

Super Contributor

You're very welcome, Nightowlz. I would google C. diff. to read some more about it. Unfortunately, there are too many docs who are not well-versed in this disease.

Most docs will not take the time or trouble to culture infections and will take the "lazy" way out by prescribing a broad-spectrum antibiotic for something like a sinus infection. If at all possible, again, it's best to have the offending bacteria identified (either via microscope or by culturing) and then to have a more specific narrow-spectrum antibiotic prescribed in order to avoid a C. diff. infection.

MRSA is another nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infection, second in incidence to C. diff. infection.

Honored Contributor

If you had a sinus infection, it was undoubtedly bacterial and, therefore, needed to be treated with an antibiotic, although personally, I do believe there are other more natural treatments that could work.

ANY antibiotic has the potential to cause a C. diff. infection but, as I explained previously, broad-spectrum antibiotics are much more likely than narrow-spectrum antibiotics. Broad spectrums will wipe out more of the good bacteria across the board, while narrow spectrums will focus on the specific offending bacteria and try to eradicate those only.

There is also a "pecking order" of antibiotics (classes of antibiotics) more likely to cause a C. diff. infection. You can google those. I know that Cipro is at the top of the list.

Thank you for the reply. They did not test me for the sinus infection they just looked at me & said that's what I had. I was not even going to go to the doctor. I went by the pharmacy & asked what I could take & the pharmacist looked at me & told me I needed an antibiotic to get rid of what I had. I had it for over a week before I went to the Urgent Care clinic since I could not get in to see the doctor. My eyes were all red swollen runny, stopped up nose, headache, & when I talked sometimes it would come out & sometimes nothing would come out of my mouth. I came home with this once after visiting my dad years ago. I wondered if it had anything to do with his cats & an allergy to them. Have never had anything like it before or since.

Honored Contributor

You're very welcome, Nightowlz. I would google C. diff. to read some more about it. Unfortunately, there are too many docs who are not well-versed in this disease.

Most docs will not take the time or trouble to culture infections and will take the "lazy" way out by prescribing a broad-spectrum antibiotic for something like a sinus infection. If at all possible, again, it's best to have the offending bacteria identified (either via microscope or by culturing) and then to have a more specific narrow-spectrum antibiotic prescribed in order to avoid a C. diff. infection.

MRSA is another nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infection, second in incidence to C. diff. infection.

Thank you for all the useful info. I have learned quite a bit today. I will be reading up on this for sure. The doctor may not like it but from now on anytime they want to prescribe an antibiotic they will have to do a culture first.