Honored Contributor

Bruising from blood thinners

DH is on a blood thinner and when ever he scrapes his skin there is a bad bruise as well as sometimes the skin breaks....I know that this happens when on blood thinners but is there anything topically he can use after the fact so the bruises don't look so bad and maybe heal quicker?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Bruising from blood thinners

Arnica gel, but do not use if the skin is broken and for best results apply it when you first notice the bruise. I apply it 3 times a day when I get a bruise and that's all the time unfortunately.

Respected Contributor

My DH is also on blood thinners, Warfarin. He has never had a bad incident with a break in his skin, but the doctor gave him some sort of topical medication that stops bleeding. It is something the US Army developed in the Iraq War. I wish you good luck in treating his problem.

Honored Contributor

My dad went through this when he was on Coumadin.  Part of the problem is that the elderly have very thin skin so the slightest bump can peel off skin.  We never found a solution but medicine is ever improving so maybe his doctor can come up with something. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs,   I don't remember the exact formula but I know that Lavender essential oil and other oils plus a carrier oil help the bruise heal a lot faster.  You should not place essential oils directly on the skin so you use a carrier oil such as almond oil.  I suggest you Google "essential oils for bruises" and that should tell you what to do.  Years ago I used the essential oils & carrier oil on bruises and it does work.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Hi @Mom2Dogs,

I have been off thinners, by choice, since late 2010. With my choice of activities(hockey) my body has always had bruises, and you ought to see it now!  My whole left side of my face(forehead to upper lip)is purple/blue, green and colors I can't describe.

Took 2 of our felines to the vet this morning and he was shocked when he walked into the room. And my left leg from hip bone to knee another rainbow of bruise colors, and it does hurt. And the front of my legs from the knee down, bruises, and many scars from past bruises and incidents. Every time I wear shorts when I am out, people can't but notice them. My wife gave up on how I look many years ago.

Anyways, thinners or no thinners I have been a walking bruise for decades, and cosmetic looks never entered my mind. If it did I would spend more time with makeup than my wife. 

As for healing faster? I know my bone bruises take months before they are gone. Many times they don't even show up for couple weeks, but believe me, I remember well what caused them, and I assume that may be the same with others.

As for DH? I don't have anything to offer for quicker healing, or anything to help the cosmetic part of it? Sorry!  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

My DH is also on blood thinners, Warfarin. He has never had a bad incident with a break in his skin, but the doctor gave him some sort of topical medication that stops bleeding. It is something the US Army developed in the Iraq War. I wish you good luck in treating his problem.

@StylishLady

Stops bleeding? And here I have been using ice for decades. What magic potion is your doctor privy to that even Sports Med Doc's are not?  Sure could have used the stuff with my oft broken nose(8)!  Hmmm, interesting?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

@StylishLady

Stops bleeding? And here I have been using ice for decades. What magic potion is your doctor privy to that even Sports Med Doc's are not?  Sure could have used the stuff with my oft broken nose(8)!  Hmmm, interesting?

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Have you injured yourself during your ice skating lessons?

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

What are his iron lvls? - would be something to look into, if hasnt been addressed already

ETA - just reread this thread, and replies.. plz,..to any that commented here, for various reasons,. Im assuming, its because of similar situations, and if any are smokers iron lvls, read wrong.

Not to offer medical advice, but,.. anemia, could be what you are experiencing..Just a friendly tip,.. would be something to mention at a visit tho. 

Honored Contributor

@Oggi wrote:

What are his iron lvls? - would be something to look into, if hasnt been addressed already

ETA - just reread this thread, and replies.. plz,..to any that commented here, for various reasons,. Im assuming, its because of similar situations, and if any are smokers iron lvls, read wrong.

Not to offer medical advice, but,.. anemia, could be what you are experiencing..Just a friendly tip,.. would be something to mention at a visit tho. 

Huh?

Bruising is a common side effect of blood thinners.