Honored Contributor

Re: Bruising from blood thinners

My DH rarely if ever got a bruise.  I have always bruised very easily.

In January he had to go on blood thinners and now he bruises like crazy. Any bump produces a big bruise, sometimes even a bump.  He had to have bloodwork done a few weeks ago and his arm was all bruised where they took the blood. In the past that had never happened.

Luckily he hasn't had any actual breaks or tears in his skin.  

Honored Contributor

I take Plavix and aspirin after 2 heart attacks. I bruise easily and when I inject insulin, I have been bleeding with every injection. I wish I didn't have to take these drugs...they really wreck quality of life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last August, my dad had a stroke and a heart attack.  He had a stent put in.  They put him on Plavix. 

When he was diagnosed with A Fib a few years ago, they prescribed Xarelto.  Within a few days, he had a horrible GI bleed and was hospitalized.  They had to take him off the Xarelto.  He continued to take the baby aspirin.

Last week, he had two small, very mild strokes.  They urged him to again try Xarelto.  He refused.  They suggested Eloquis.  So far, he hasn't had any bleeding. 

He's been a diabetic for over 45 years and uses insulin.  He has not noticed any more bleeding than usual. 

He does bruise very easily now.  He bumped his hand where the IV was inserted and the needle came out of the vein.  The bruise he got looks horrific.  It looks like a black glove covering his hand.  I'm sure that's going to take a long time to dissipate.

I really worry about him falling or cutting himself now that he's on the Eloquis.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Last August, my dad had a stroke and a heart attack.  He had a stent put in.  They put him on Plavix. 

When he was diagnosed with A Fib a few years ago, they prescribed Xarelto.  Within a few days, he had a horrible GI bleed and was hospitalized.  They had to take him off the Xarelto.  He continued to take the baby aspirin.

Last week, he had two small, very mild strokes.  They urged him to again try Xarelto.  He refused.  They suggested Eloquis.  So far, he hasn't had any bleeding. 

He's been a diabetic for over 45 years and uses insulin.  He has not noticed any more bleeding than usual. 

He does bruise very easily now.  He bumped his hand where the IV was inserted and the needle came out of the vein.  The bruise he got looks horrific.  It looks like a black glove covering his hand.  I'm sure that's going to take a long time to dissipate.

I really worry about him falling or cutting himself now that he's on the Eloquis.  Smiley Sad

@Bri36 that's how my mother-in-law got after being on Coumidin for her A Fib.  The doctor switched her over to Xarelto.  She does still bruise but nowhere near as bad and so far no other complications from it.  

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter, I hope she doesn't have any complications from the Xarelto.  A lot of people don't. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl

Unfortunately yes!  The worst of the 2 injuries happened when I was not even skating. There are 3 ladies, one older than my 78, that skate on Wednesdays. One of the 3 worked also for AT&T. I met her when her Supervisor husband and herself entered the Annual Corporate Cup Run.

For many years I handled most of the duties involved with making sure we got more participants, and also prepared the packets, with entry numbers, necessary to be able to participate. Did this from 1981(very first Corporate Cup Run) and for several years after I retired in 1991.

Anyways, these ladies were leaving skating(too many young kids) and I stopped by the exit door to get off the ice. They were off, I was not, completely anyway. The opening bottom plate on the door is plastic. I must have put 1 foot on that while the other was still on the ice.

I was standing sideways and the foot on the plastic slipped which caused me to fall sideways onto the ice. I landed on my left hip bone, and then hit the left side of my forehead on the ice. Ouch!! As soon as I got up I left the ice and had the the employee make me an ice bag.

Had a golf ball sized lump getting bigger and bigger right away. Sat down holding the ice bag on the lump for a few minutes. I then decided, very sore hip bone and all, I came here to skate. Skated slow with the ice bag on my head, and checking out the functionality of my left hip bone. Sore, but I have skated with worse hip pain.

Wife was gone Pet Sitting so she did not see me that day. I made sure I was mentally ok to drive home. Having a concussion was my main concern, but my skating balance was still good, and my reflexes were still good along with my ability to carry on a conversation with the manager of the rink, she knows me well from many years working with her with my adult hockey league.

My wife called and I gave her the lowdown of the incident and told her I was just fine, sore but fine. When she came home to see me the next day, I looked pretty bad. Still a small lump, but the dark purple and black of under the skin blood. Much of the left side of my face down to below my nose were those colors.

Went skating that Friday and everything went well. Hip sore but not a skating problem, same with my face. Got lots of "what the he!! happened to you" questions from kids and people at the rink, most of who were learning to skate. I don't think some of them believed me because they commented on what a good skater I am.

That is just story #1. Story #2 whole different scenario, and man was I pee o'd. Tell that another time, but suffice it to say, I landed on my same body parts and exacerbated the same injured parts. I could'a strangled that little jerk!

E.T.A.  Sorry @mousiegirl,

I didn't see the word "lessons". I did go to 12 weeks of balance Physical Therapy, and worked on it at home for almost 4 months after I fell and broke a rib. Didn't even put my skates on during that time. Grew up on ice skates, but this was a balance issue, which I obviously had lost. I now am back to being a pretty good skater, and I love that?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

For bleeding wounds there is a product called SYPTIC and it comes in a powder or stick. You just apply it right on the wound and it stops the bleeding fast. I found out about this substance from my dog groomer who uses it on claws that have been cut too short and bleed. There is one made for humans and it's sold at most drugstores

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@mousiegirl

Unfortunately yes!  The worst of the 2 injuries happened when I was not even skating. There are 3 ladies, one older than my 78, that skate on Wednesdays. One of the 3 worked also for AT&T. I met her when her Supervisor husband and herself entered the Annual Corporate Cup Run.

For many years I handled most of the duties involved with making sure we got more participants, and also prepared the packets, with entry numbers, necessary to be able to participate. Did this from 1981(very first Corporate Cup Run) and for several years after I retired in 1991.

Anyways, these ladies were leaving skating(too many young kids) and I stopped by the exit door to get off the ice. They were off, I was not, completely anyway. The opening bottom plate on the door is plastic. I must have put 1 foot on that while the other was still on the ice.

I was standing sideways and the foot on the plastic slipped which caused me to fall sideways onto the ice. I landed on my left hip bone, and then hit the left side of my forehead on the ice. Ouch!! As soon as I got up I left the ice and had the the employee make me an ice bag.

Had a golf ball sized lump getting bigger and bigger right away. Sat down holding the ice bag on the lump for a few minutes. I then decided, very sore hip bone and all, I came here to skate. Skated slow with the ice bag on my head, and checking out the functionality of my left hip bone. Sore, but I have skated with worse hip pain.

Wife was gone Pet Sitting so she did not see me that day. I made sure I was mentally ok to drive home. Having a concussion was my main concern, but my skating balance was still good, and my reflexes were still good along with my ability to carry on a conversation with the manager of the rink, she knows me well from many years working with her with my adult hockey league.

My wife called and I gave her the lowdown of the incident and told her I was just fine, sore but fine. When she came home to see me the next day, I looked pretty bad. Still a small lump, but the dark purple and black of under the skin blood. Much of the left side of my face down to below my nose were those colors.

Went skating that Friday and everything went well. Hip sore but not a skating problem, same with my face. Got lots of "what the he!! happened to you" questions from kids and people at the rink, most of who were learning to skate. I don't think some of them believed me because they commented on what a good skater I am.

That is just story #1. Story #2 whole different scenario, and man was I pee o'd. Tell that another time, but suffice it to say, I landed on my same body parts and exacerbated the same injured parts. I could'a strangled that little jerk!

E.T.A. @ Sorry @mousiegirl,

I didn't see the word "lessons". I did go to 12 weeks of balance Physical Therapy, and worked on it at home for almost 4 months after I fell and broke a rib. Didn't even put my skates on during that time. Grew up on ice skates, but this was a balance issue, which I obviously had lost. I now am back to being a pretty good skater, and I love that?

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Sounds very painful, especially your head hitting the ice.  You are one determined guy, Smiley Happy, glad to hear you are skating well, and  I hope you heal well.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Thank you. I will be just fine.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)