Valued Contributor

I'm hoping someone can give me information maybe even through experience with a family member affected.  Saturday I found my husband passed out on the driveway.  I called 911 they took him to the hospital and now he's in intensive care for a brain bleed.  I know nothing about this injury.  He had 3 CT scans and the bleeding has stopped.  A temporary pacemaker was put in but it didn't control his heart and he flatlined.  So a permanent was put in and that's fine but I'm concerned with the brain damage.  He had his throat tube taken out today and they said he sat up.  Tonight he said ow and no when they were moving him.  Was there, they said doesn't mean he knows what he's saying. Rehab called today asking what he was capable of doing before this injury.  He could do everything himself.   Not sure where it's all going to go but so confused.   Please pray for him.  I've given it to God and it's up to him.  

Honored Contributor

Praying for you and your family. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Super Contributor

Psalm 103 Smiley Happy

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

It's hard to know at this early stage. Does he recognize you? I said a prayer for your husband as soon as I read this. God be with you both.

Valued Contributor

He will open his eyes for a few seconds but then close them.  Some said it's really too early since the brain needs time to heal.  We now assume he fainted because of his heart.  He had a blockage.  Never said he felt pain or anything days or months prior.  He was working in the yard just before he fell.  Just a few weeks ago I asked him what he would want if anything happened and he asked why I would ask.  I just said we're getting older and I didn't know what he would want.  Wish he had taken me seriously when I asked.  Would have made things easier for the family.  Thank you for the prayer.

Valued Contributor

Re: Brain Injury

[ Edited ]

I'll read Psalm 103, thanks.

Respected Contributor

Sending thoughts and prayers.  God bless.

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I'm so sorry. I hope your husband has a full recovery. So much depends on where the bleed was located and how serious it was so you can't go by what others went through

Some people fully recover or have just minor issues. Others have more serious issues. It's too soon to know how your husband will recover.

This happened to my sister 13 years ago. She is highly educated, ran operating systems at hospitals, ran trauma centers, specialized in orthopedic surgery, etc etc.

She now lives on her own now but it took hard work in rehab. She had to learn how to read, write, speak again. She has short term memory loss. She has tremors in her hands. Instructions for anything have to be just 1 step at a time. She can drive to places she knows but easily gets lost going to new places.

She knows what happened but thinks she's like she was before. She refuses to recognize her limitations so there are also challenges for family and friends. 

I was my sister's conservator for a few years after Mom passed and Dad couldn't do it anymore. A year ago, I asked the court to assign a third party conservator because of my sister's intentionally harmful actions. That was a life-saver and allows us to work on having a sister-sister relationship, which is more important than conservator-sister.

Honored Contributor

@kismet   Of course, prayers being sent.  Please let us know regarding his progress.  

Trusted Contributor

Prayers are going up for you and your husband, Kismet. Heart I hope you have family or loved ones there to support and care with you, please remember you need to take care of you during this trying time. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)