Respected Contributor

Pre-COVID, I used my home treadmill and attended classes at the Y.  My husband used the elliptical machines at the Y or at his gym at work.  He can't workout on a treadmill due to his bad knees.  Since COVID and the closing of the gyms where we live, we decided to purchase a Bowflex for him to use at home.  Does anyone have one and what do you like or not like about it?

Respected Contributor

We have a Bowflew. I would love to use it but it is so complicated to change out for different exercises. Ours is used some by my husband but I like things a little simpler. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bowflex Max

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 

Your thread title refers to Bowflex Max Trainer, which advertised as an overall body trainer. It appears they have 3 models, ranging in price from $1699-$2799. 

I have an older Bowflex Sport. Like earlier ones it uses Power Rods to vary the resistance. My particular model goes up to 250lb, but I can add 2 more rods of 50lbs each if I choose.

I use by Bowflex every other workout and use it primarily for upper body and arm strength. On occasion I use it for seated 1 leg presses, as 250lbs is not enough resistance to use both legs. Use it some for stretching, mostly my quad muscles.

You mentioned your husband's knee issue. This I can tell you from my own experience, and I have no knee problems at all. While buying my new True Recumbent, they had a Bowflex Max on the display floor.

I got on it and within 2-3 minutes, I could feel it in my knees, and I immediately quit. I have no idea how or what level it was set, but I do know, as it sat, it would not be good for my fully intact knees.

I have many machines in my home gym and I prefer specificity in my training. Am not, and never been one that used 1 machine or exercise as an "overall body trainer".

Machines like the Max Trainer advertise "less time to achieve results". For me it is a Cardio Machine for Cardio/Total Gym/Bowflex/dumbbells for resistance weight training, and Teeter Inversion for my spine and working my abdominals.

Take more time? Yes, but for me specificity for all muscles groups has been the best for me for many decades. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 

Does your Bowflex use power rods? If so, what attachments do you have, and what is hard for you to change? I have a pretty old Bowflex Sport that uses power rods and it is pretty easy to change for all parts of the body. Now I am not in a hurry, are you?  😎

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Five years ago we purchased a Bowflex Max trainer as a family gift, and what a waste of $2400!   

The machine is nice, and works fine, but it also takes up a fair amount of space, and is essentially our coat and clothes rack.   I doubt it has seen 10 hours of use.   

I have had both knees replaced and am pain free; no problems with my knees now.  

However, one very short session on this elliptical stirs up uncomfortable feelings in my knees, due to being in an upright position applying force and pressure on the knees and feet during the workout.  

If your husband cannot do the treadmill due to his bad knees, I absolutely would NOT recommend this machine!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop 

The 2 best machines for cardio that I have which work best for me for skating, and easy on the knees. My 2 recumbents and my NuStep.

My wife's knee replacement rehab used the recumbent and the NuStep here at home. With either, they are non weight bearing, and she could also control her degree and percentage of knee bend. 

Her rehab had only recumbents, no NuStep. She likes the NuStep better as you can use your arms also, or even 1 leg or arm at a time.

I used them in my Cardio Rehab after my 1st heart attack, had never seen them before. That was in late July, 2003. They limited each patient's to 10 minutes because everyone liked using them. I decided to buy one, not cheap, but worth every penny. Think I bought it in 2003 or 2004. Still just like new.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor
I loved my Total Gym. I stopped using it, of course, and sold it when I moved and downsized. When my gym closed during the pandemic I almost bought another one. I have used a Bowflex. Not too impressed. I would definitely buy another Total Gym though if my gym wasn't right down the street.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 

II would not buy any expensive gym equipment until you can take a test drive.

Amazon sells all types of therapy bands and weights.

I am sure you and your DH can find a fitness routine to work until the gym re-opens. 

Frequent Contributor
I bought the Bowflex Max 4 years ago. I believe the machine that is being referred to is the one that is sort of like a combination of a stair stepper and an elliptical, correct? Not the weight machine. Because it’s super easy to use, works lower and upper body. Doesn’t bother my knees, works arms and legs at same time. Settings are easy to understand. I love mine, definitely worth the investment!
Respected Contributor

Zebsmom2- yes that is the one!  We are both enjoying it so far and no knee problems - thanks!